NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
All Articles
Wang Fuk Court buyback plan disappoints some residents despite ‘generous’ offer
South China Morning Post
Clustered Story
Published about 22 hours ago

Wang Fuk Court buyback plan disappoints some residents despite ‘generous’ offer

South China Morning Post · Feb 21, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Some homeowners displaced by the deadly Tai Po blaze were disappointed by Hong Kong authorities’ decision to buy back their flats instead of resettling them at the original site, even as the acquisition offer was described by a surveyor as “generous”. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the long-term resettlement plan on Saturday, offering options to buy back the flats at HK$8,000 or HK$10,500 (US$1,023 or US$1,343) per square foot. Homeowners could also opt for...

Full Article

Some homeowners displaced by the deadly Tai Po blaze were disappointed by Hong Kong authorities’ decision to buy back their flats instead of resettling them at the original site, even as the acquisition offer was described by a surveyor as “generous”.Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the long-term resettlement plan on Saturday, offering options to buy back the flats at HK$8,000 or HK$10,500 (US$1,023 or US$1,343) per square foot.Homeowners could also opt for “flat-for-flat” exchanges, which will allow them to purchase a new subsidised flat from 10 designated projects under the Housing Authority or the Housing Society.But Wong ruled out redevelopment of Wang Fuk Court, which he said could take nine to 10 years.The inferno that engulfed seven of the estate’s eight towers last November killed 168 people and displaced about 5,000 residentsA former resident of the estate surnamed Ho who supports rebuilding told the South China Morning Post that many neighbours were angered by the proposal and felt authorities had ignored their views.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 5 hours ago
Hong Kong official warns of lower payout if Tai Po fire victims reject buy-back plan

The acquisition price for properties damaged in Hong Kong’s deadly Tai Po fire will be “far lower” if homeowners reject the government’s buy-back offer and authorities are forced to use legislation to acquire the remaining properties, a senior official has said. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun on Sunday dismissed claims that the government was using public funds to cover its responsibility for the Tai Po tragedy, following online criticism that taxpayers’ money was being used to...

Bloomberg1 day ago
HK Announces $870 Million Plan to Buy Back Flats in Tai Po Fire

Hong Kong proposed higher-than-estimated acquisition prices for owners who lost their homes in the Wang Fuk Court blaze last year, in a plan that will cost a total of HK$6.8 billion ($870 million), according to the officials.

South China Morning Post1 day ago
Hong Kong to spend HK$6.8 billion buying back fire-ravaged Tai Po flats

Hong Kong authorities will spend about HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back homes damaged in the deadly Tai Po fire from flat owners, offering HK$8,000 to HK$10,500 per square foot as part of a long-term resettlement plan involving HK$4 billion in public funds. Deputy financial secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the plan on Saturday, ruling out on-site redevelopment of Wang Fuk Court, and saying authorities were inclined to demolish seven of the estate’s eight buildings and redevelop...

South China Morning Post2 days ago
Tai Po fire owners to receive buy-back offer of up to about HK$10,000 per sq ft

Hong Kong authorities are set to unveil a resettlement plan as early as Saturday for owners who lost their homes in the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire, offering buy-back options at higher-than-expected prices, the South China Morning Post has learned. Government sources said on Friday that the acquisition prices for properties without land premiums could be HK$8,000 (US$1,204) per sq ft, while properties with land premiums could exceed HK$10,000 per sq ft. “The government is well aware of the...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Malaysia summons anti-corruption chief in stock ownership probe

Malaysia’s anti-corruption chief Azam Baki was summoned by a special committee set up to probe his stock ownership to explain the matter on Thursday, as authorities respond to calls for him to be investigated. The committee is examining the compliance and regularity of Azam’s share ownership based on the initial report it received, Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar, chief secretary to the government, said in a statement on Sunday. It is still in the process of evaluating all evidence obtained and will call...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong jewellery sales sparkle amid 13% jump in mainland Chinese visitors

Hong Kong recorded a 13 per cent increase in visitors from mainland China during the Lunar New Year holiday against a year ago, with the influx boosting jewellery sales by 10 per cent during the period despite a sharp rise in gold prices. Industry representatives said on Sunday that overall business was better than last year, although the recovery remained uneven across sectors and was not always directly tied to the greater number of mainland visitors. Immigration figures showed mainland...