NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeStrikesAnnounceLaunchCourtPricesMajorFebruaryNewsDigestSundayTimelineChinaSafetyGlobalMarketCrisisOilGoldUkraineSupremeTech
TrumpTariffTradeStrikesAnnounceLaunchCourtPricesMajorFebruaryNewsDigestSundayTimelineChinaSafetyGlobalMarketCrisisOilGoldUkraineSupremeTech
All Articles
Hong Kong official warns of lower payout if Tai Po fire victims reject buy-back plan
South China Morning Post
Clustered Story
Published about 6 hours ago

Hong Kong official warns of lower payout if Tai Po fire victims reject buy-back plan

South China Morning Post · Feb 22, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

The acquisition price for properties damaged in Hong Kong’s deadly Tai Po fire will be “far lower” if homeowners reject the government’s buy-back offer and authorities are forced to use legislation to acquire the remaining properties, a senior official has said. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun on Sunday dismissed claims that the government was using public funds to cover its responsibility for the Tai Po tragedy, following online criticism that taxpayers’ money was being used to...

Full Article

The acquisition price for properties damaged in Hong Kong’s deadly Tai Po fire will be “far lower” if homeowners reject the government’s buy-back offer and authorities are forced to use legislation to acquire the remaining properties, a senior official has said.Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun on Sunday dismissed claims that the government was using public funds to cover its responsibility for the Tai Po tragedy, following online criticism that taxpayers’ money was being used to support individual property owners.The government is expected to spend about HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back damaged flats at Wang Fuk Court, offering HK$8,000 or HK$10,500 per square foot. Of that total, HK$2.8 billion will come from a dedicated support fund, with the remaining HK$4 billion drawn from public coffers.Wong said the proposal was a compassionate arrangement aimed at helping owners purchase a new home, warning that otherwise they might lose their investment without significant government intervention.“Society should look at it comprehensively,” he said on a radio show.In a separate television interview, Wong added the proposal represented an “appropriate use” of public money, stressing that the Wang Fuk Court case was “exceptional” and would not set a precedent.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 24 hours ago
Wang Fuk Court buyback plan disappoints some residents despite ‘generous’ offer

Some homeowners displaced by the deadly Tai Po blaze were disappointed by Hong Kong authorities’ decision to buy back their flats instead of resettling them at the original site, even as the acquisition offer was described by a surveyor as “generous”. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the long-term resettlement plan on Saturday, offering options to buy back the flats at HK$8,000 or HK$10,500 (US$1,023 or US$1,343) per square foot. Homeowners could also opt for...

Bloomberg1 day ago
HK Announces $870 Million Plan to Buy Back Flats in Tai Po Fire

Hong Kong proposed higher-than-estimated acquisition prices for owners who lost their homes in the Wang Fuk Court blaze last year, in a plan that will cost a total of HK$6.8 billion ($870 million), according to the officials.

South China Morning Post1 day ago
Hong Kong to spend HK$6.8 billion buying back fire-ravaged Tai Po flats

Hong Kong authorities will spend about HK$6.8 billion (US$870 million) to buy back homes damaged in the deadly Tai Po fire from flat owners, offering HK$8,000 to HK$10,500 per square foot as part of a long-term resettlement plan involving HK$4 billion in public funds. Deputy financial secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun unveiled the plan on Saturday, ruling out on-site redevelopment of Wang Fuk Court, and saying authorities were inclined to demolish seven of the estate’s eight buildings and redevelop...

South China Morning Post2 days ago
Tai Po fire owners to receive buy-back offer of up to about HK$10,000 per sq ft

Hong Kong authorities are set to unveil a resettlement plan as early as Saturday for owners who lost their homes in the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire, offering buy-back options at higher-than-expected prices, the South China Morning Post has learned. Government sources said on Friday that the acquisition prices for properties without land premiums could be HK$8,000 (US$1,204) per sq ft, while properties with land premiums could exceed HK$10,000 per sq ft. “The government is well aware of the...

South China Morning Post32 minutes ago
China’s Type 095 nuclear submarine spotted for first time in new satellite images

China has launched its first next-generation Type 095 nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN), according to satellite imagery analysed by defence experts. It marks a significant leap as Beijing ramps up the underwater arms race to challenge US naval dominance in technology and production. Images captured between February 9 and 12 showed the vessel being fitted out at the Bohai Shipyard in Huludao, Liaoning province, according to Janes and Naval News. Defence analysts said the pictures revealed a...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
More advanced maths students needed for science, tech sectors: Hong Kong committee head

Hong Kong must more than double the number of secondary school pupils studying advanced maths to ensure a sufficient pipeline of students pursuing science and technology courses at university and careers in those sectors, according to the head of a curriculum review. The government plans to review the admission score calculations for some of the universities’ science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) programmes, as well as revamp the combination of related elective subjects...