NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
All Articles
US appears open to reversing some China tech bans
theregister.com
Published 7 days ago

US appears open to reversing some China tech bans

theregister.com · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from GDELT

Summary

Published: 20260216T080000Z

Full Article

Asia In Brief The United States may be about to change its policies regarding Chinese technology companies. Evidence of the possible change emerged on Friday when the US Federal Register published an updated list of designated Chinese Military companies whose activities in the USA are greatly restricted. The list disappeared within hours after a US government agency requested it be withdrawn, but numerous reports state that document listed Chinese web and cloud giants Alibaba and Baidu, plus automaker BYD, as companies tangled up with the Middle Kingdom’s military, and therefore a security risk. The update also reportedly removed Chinese memory-makers ChangXin Memory Technologies and Yangtze Memory Technologies, a change that means both can sell their DRAM to US customers. The two companies make very small quantities of RAM, probably too little to offer significant price relief to US buyers. Pentagon spokespeople have said a revised list will be made public soon. Reuters, meanwhile, reports that the US may lift bans on Chinese telcos operating in the US, and also walk away from plans to prevent sales of TP-Link products. If correct, those actions would reverse the first Trump administration’s “Clean network” policy that aimed to “secure Americans’ most sensitive information” from China by ensuring Middle Kingdom carriers, submarine cables, and clouds could operate in America. The Clean Networks policy came into force in 2020 – perhaps a year too late to stop the Beijing-backed Salt Typhoon crew from totally owning US telecoms networks. Reuters speculates that the administration’s easing of some restrictions on Chinese tech are a negotiating tactic ahead of a planned meeting between presidents Trump and Xi Jinping. India introduces strict AI takedown rules India’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology last week announced new rules that require social media operators to automatically detect AI-generated content and remove some of it within two hours. The rules [PDF] extend India’s digital media ethics laws to shorten the deadline for content removal from 24 hours to two hours when authorities deem takedowns are urgent due to possible personal harms. The updated rules also ban using AI to create intimate content, plus content that “falsely depicts or portrays a natural person or real-world event.” India’s government published the rules on February 10th and imposed a ten-day deadline for compliance. Singapore readies $30 billion tech fund Singapore’s prime minister last week announced a S$37 billion ($30 billion) R&D fund, some of which will go towards a new set of national AI Missions designed to “drive AI-led transformation in key sectors of our economy, and push the boundaries of what is possible, for Singapore and for the world.” The island nation will focus on advanced manufacturing, connectivity, finance, and healthcare. In his budget speech, Prime Minister Lawrence Wong said Singapore hopes AI will “accelerate innovation and build best-in-class factories that can compete globally and “help to automate airport and seaport operations, move goods more efficiently, and strengthen Singapore’s position as a leading global hub.” Wong also addressed concerns about AI. “Workers worry that AI will displace jobs. Societies worry about misinformation, bias, and the ethical use of powerful technologies. These anxieties are real — and we must confront them squarely,” he said. “But fear cannot be Singapore’s response. If we allow uncertainty to paralyse us, we will fall behind in a world that is moving rapidly ahead.” “So we must act with clarity and resolve. AI is a powerful tool — but it is still a tool. It must serve our national interests and our people. We will define how AI is developed and used in Singapore. We will set clear rules to ensure it is applied responsibly and safely. And we will ensure that its benefits are shared widely across society.” Google also last week announced new investments in Singapore. Indian police commissioner wants ID cards for AI agents India dangles 20-year tax holiday for clouds that serve offshore users Malaysia and Indonesia block X over failure to curb deepfake smut China wants to ban making yourself into an AI to keep aged relatives company IBM ‘conquering’ China IBM’s general manager for Greater China, Chen Xudong, last week issued New Year’s wishes to clients in which he said that during 2025 Big Blue “continued to adopt a second entrepreneurial approach and a do-or-die determination in the Chinese market, moving from ‘defending its territory’ to ‘conquering its territory.’” Chen said IBM will do that by bringing more of its wares to China, and help exporters to reach new markets. “As the AI wave overlaps with anxieties about going global, Chinese companies no longer need piecemeal technical patches, but rather integrated solutions tailored to their specific business needs,” he wrote. “Only by breaking down data and system silos, building a secure and flexible technological foundation, and embracing open-source application platforms can they firmly grasp both control and choice, achieving a new path to growth characterized by resilience and enhanced innovation.” Japanese bear-scaring wolf robot gets cuddly In 2018, Japanese company Ohta Seiki created the “Monster Wolf” – a robot with glowing red eyes designed to scare bears. Think of it as an modern scarecrow that caught the public imagination because bears coming into contact with people always makes the news in Japan. As bear attacks surged last year, the Monster Wolf returned to prominence. And now, according to Japanese outlet Nikkei, Ohta Seiki plans to release plush versions of the Monster Wolf. One model will retain the original’s bear-scaring role, and will apparently be able to play back sounds including growls, howls, gunshots and a human voice uttering threats including "You won't be spared!" The 20cm robot will be remotely operable. The company plans a smaller model that can serve as a personal protection device, or just extract yen from the pockets of plush toy enthusiasts. ®


Share this story

Read Original at theregister.com

Related Articles

TechCrunchabout 5 hours ago
China’s brain-computer interface industry is racing ahead

China’s brain-computer interface industry is rapidly scaling from research to commercialization, driven by strong policy support, expanding clinical trials, and growing investor interest.

Financial Timesabout 6 hours ago
Trump’s new flat-rate tariff is a boost for China and Brazil

US allies including the UK, EU and Japan hardest hit after Supreme Court rules against previous levies

South China Morning Postabout 7 hours ago
China’s Type 095 nuclear submarine spotted for first time in new satellite images

China has launched its first next-generation Type 095 nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN), according to satellite imagery analysed by defence experts. It marks a significant leap as Beijing ramps up the underwater arms race to challenge US naval dominance in technology and production. Images captured between February 9 and 12 showed the vessel being fitted out at the Bohai Shipyard in Huludao, Liaoning province, according to Janes and Naval News. Defence analysts said the pictures revealed a...

rosario3.comabout 8 hours ago
El Año del Caballo y la consolidación del poder interno en China

Published: 20260222T131500Z

South China Morning Postabout 9 hours ago
China seeks to cultivate a food supply immune to geopolitical shocks

A single policy could redraw global food supply lines and scramble markets from the Americas to Southeast Asia. In early February, the Communist Party of China’s Central Committee and State Council released the annual “No 1 document”, the country’s first policy statement of 2026 and its blueprint for agriculture, farmers and rural areas. As one of the world’s largest agricultural producers, importers and exporters, any shift in Beijing’s food strategy carries global repercussions. Covering...

The Hillabout 10 hours ago
US arms sale to Taiwan clashes with Trump’s desire to strike trade deal with China

A U.S. arms sale to Taiwan is clashing with President Trump’s desire to strike a trade deal with China. Chinese President Xi Jinping has voiced opposition to the new major arms sale to Taiwan, which China sees as its territory, and the president took note. The arms package’s delivery to Taiwan is now up in...