NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
All Articles
US allows oil majors to resume Venezuela operations
South China Morning Post
Clustered Story
Published 9 days ago

US allows oil majors to resume Venezuela operations

South China Morning Post · Feb 13, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

The US eased sanctions on Venezuela’s energy sector on Friday, issuing two general licences that allow global energy companies to operate oil and gas projects in the Opec member and for other companies to negotiate contracts to bring in fresh ‌investments. The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control issued a general licence allowing Chevron, BP, Eni, Shell and Repsol to operate oil and gas operations in Venezuela. Those companies still have offices in the country and stakes in...

Full Article

The US eased sanctions on Venezuela’s energy sector on Friday, issuing two general licences that allow global energy companies to operate oil and gas projects in the Opec member and for other companies to negotiate contracts to bring in fresh ‌investments.The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control issued a general licence allowing Chevron, BP, Eni, Shell and Repsol to operate oil and gas operations in Venezuela. Those companies still have offices in the country and stakes in projects, and are among the main partners of state-run company PDVSA.The authorisation for the oil majors’ operations requires payments for royalties and Venezuelan taxes to go through the US-controlled Foreign Government Deposit Fund.The other licence allows companies around the world to enter contracts with PDVSA for ⁠new investments in Venezuelan oil and gas. The contracts are contingent on separate permits from OFAC.The authorisation does not allow transactions ‌with companies in Russia, Iran, or China or entities owned or controlled by joint ventures with people in those countries.The move was the biggest relaxation of sanctions on Venezuela since US forces captured and removed President Nicolas ‌Maduro last month.08:25How Maduro’s abduction is set to change Latin AmericaHow Maduro’s abduction is set to change Latin America


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

Bloomberg9 days ago
US Lets Some Oil Companies Produce Oil, Gas in Venezuela

The Trump administration issued licenses allowing a handful of Western oil companies to operate in Venezuela, the latest step in a campaign to revive the country’s oil-dependent economy.

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
New York Mayor Mamdani orders citywide travel ban ahead of major US storm

New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani on Sunday ordered the shutdown of the city’s entire traffic network for all but emergency travel ahead of a massive snowstorm expected to hit the northeast United States. Tens of millions of Americans from the US capital, Washington, to the northern state of Maine braced for the storm, with up to 60cm (2 feet) of snow forecast in some areas. The National Weather Service said blizzard conditions would “quickly materialise” from Maryland up to southeastern New...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Mexican army kills leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel, official says

The Mexican army killed the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, Nemesio Ruben Oseguera Cervantes, “El Mencho”, in an operation on Sunday, a federal official said. The official, who requested anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly, said it happened during a military operation in the western state of Jalisco. It followed several hours of roadblocks with burning vehicles in Jalisco and other states. Such tactics are commonly used by the cartels to block military...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
France will summon US envoy Charles Kushner over comments on activist’s death

France will summon US ambassador Charles Kushner to protest against comments by the Trump administration over the death of a far-right activist, the foreign affairs minister said. Jean-Noel Barrot was reacting to a statement by the State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau, which posted on social media that “reports, corroborated by the French Minister of the Interior, that Quentin Deranque was killed by left-wing militants, should concern us all”. Deranque, a far-right activist, died of brain...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
UK protection officers instructed to guard 2010 Epstein dinner party, reports say

London police officers assigned to King ⁠Charles’ younger brother ⁠Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor were instructed to provide ⁠security for a dinner party at Jeffrey Epstein’s New York home in 2010, British media reported on Sunday. The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, cited emails from the Epstein files that ‌appear to detail arrangements for Mountbatten-Windsor to stay with the late convicted sex offender in December 2010, along with his two protection officers from London’s...

South China Morning Postabout 6 hours ago
5 dogs found poisoned to death in Hong Kong’s New Territories in single week

A dog suspected to have been poisoned was found dead in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Sunday, the fifth such case in the past week, according to police. The force on Sunday said that between February 16 and Saturday, it had received four reports involving the discovery of five dead dogs suspected to have been poisoned in an open space on Liu Pok Road in Lok Ma Chau. The latest case had been classified as “cruelty to animals” following a preliminary investigation, but no arrests have been made...