
DW News · Feb 19, 2026 · Collected from RSS
Police say they arrested a man in his 60s, and that they would not be naming him. However, media identified him as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, still better known as Prince Andrew, after police were seen at his house.
Skip next section Andrew stripped of titles, but technically still eighth in line to throneFebruary 19, 2026Andrew stripped of titles, but technically still eighth in line to throneCharles III's decision, with support of parliament, to strip his younger brother of his prince title and dukedom late last year means he is now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. Mountbatten is the original surname of his late father Prince Philip, and the House of Windsor is the UK's current royal house. Nevertheless, Andrew does remain the line of succession to the British throne, as does Prince Harry, the Duke of Sussex, who retains his titles but stepped down from his position as a senior royal in 2020. However, the chances of Andrew, once second in line after his elder brother, becoming king are now extremely small. He is eighth in line, after Harry's youngest child Lilibet. https://p.dw.com/p/592PFSkip next section Andrew has always denied any wrongdoing connected to EpsteinFebruary 19, 2026Andrew has always denied any wrongdoing connected to EpsteinThe former prince, the late Queen Elizabeth II's second son, has faced various allegations tied to Jeffrey Epstein for several years now. He had always denied any wrongdoing in this context and said that he regrets their friendship, after several stays on Epstein's island. Last November, the British royal family said it had begun the "formal" process of stripping the 66-year-old, whose birthday falls on February 19, of his titles and residence. Among other things, this came amid the launch of a posthumous memoir written by Virginia Giuffre, who described three alleged sexual encounters with the then-prince in her book. She took her own life last April. The more recent release of Epstein communications included many emails from a man who went by the email ID of either "A" or "The Duke." The anti-monarchy group Republic reported the former Duke of York to police regarding files they said suggested that he had forwarded reports about official visits to Vietnam, Singapore and other places in 2010. In the UK, misconduct in public office is what's known as a "common law offense," that is a crime that's been established by a combination of legal precedent and custom, not by a formal act of parliament. Police had previously said that this makes the current investigation particularly complex. https://p.dw.com/p/592OOSkip next section What did Thames Valley police say about the arrest?February 19, 2026What did Thames Valley police say about the arrest?Police officers were spotted at the former prince's residence in Sandringham, Norfolk on ThursdayImage: Peter Nicholls/AFP/Getty ImagesThames Valley police issued a press statement soon after reports in the Daily Telegraph, on the BBC and elsewhere of police outside Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's residence in Norfolk. "As part of the investigation, we have today [February 19] arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk," police wrote. The man remained in custody, they said. "We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court." Police also quoted Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright in the written statement. "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," Wright said. "It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense." Police said they appreciated the "considerable public interest" in the case and promised further information in due course. https://p.dw.com/p/5921dSkip next section Developing — Man, reportedly former Prince Andrew, arrested in UKFebruary 19, 2026Developing — Man, reportedly former Prince Andrew, arrested in UKBritish police said on Thursday that a man in his sixties had been arrested on suspsicion of misconduct in public office, but that they would not be naming him "as per national guidance." The BBC and several British newspapers reported that the police had arrested King Charles' younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, aged 66, in connection with his alleged links to deceased US financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew's ties to Epstein had been known and the subject of controversy for years, but the former prince features again and more frequently in the latest release of documents by US authorities, prompting renewed interest. He was formally stripped of his remaining royal titles by King Charles last October. Further updates on this developing story will follow here. https://p.dw.com/p/591ksShow more posts