NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
All Articles
Poland prepares to mine Russian border after exit from Ottawa treaty
Euronews
Published 2 days ago

Poland prepares to mine Russian border after exit from Ottawa treaty

Euronews · Feb 20, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk has unveiled the Bluszcz weapons system, saying Warsaw could lay mines along its eastern border with Russia within 48 hours.

Full Article

Published on 20/02/2026 - 10:51 GMT+1 Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk says Warsaw will soon be able to mine its eastern borders with Russia as his country officially exited the Ottawa Convention banning the use of land mines on Friday. On Thursday, Tusk presented the Bluszcz or "Ivy," a hybrid mine layer designed for stealth and autonomy, which Poland plans to debut as it boosts its capabilities on its eastern flank. “Today, you saw a brief presentation of the capabilities of the Bluszcz system. We are in the process of finalising this mine project within the East Shield, which is crucial to our security, our territory, and our border,” said Tusk. “This also includes the capability we will soon achieve – the ability to mine the Polish border in the event of a threat within 48 hours.” Warsaw joined Finland, Ukraine and the three Baltic nations of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania to announce it would formally withdraw from the international convention in August last year, citing a need to use land mines to bolster their border defences. They fear their countries could be targeted next by Russia, which never signed the treaty, as its ongoing war in Ukraine shows no signs of waning. The move was criticised as many remain concerned with the pivot back to land mines, which have historically been extremely detrimental to civilians. Anti-personnel mines are known for having caused significant civilian casualties in post-conflict countries such as Cambodia, Angola, and Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Ottawa Convention, signed in 1997 to protect civilians, only covers anti-personnel mines, meaning other types like anti-tank mines, which require a heavier weight to trigger, are allowed under the deal. Nearly three dozen countries have never acceded to the convention, including some key current and past producers and users of land mines such as the US, China, India, Pakistan, South Korea and Russia. Poland ratified the Ottawa Convention in 2012 and completed the destruction of its domestic anti-personnel mine stockpile in 2016. But its political leaders have been speaking about resuming domestic production as soon as the country is formally out of the Ottawa treaty. Officials have said that strips of land mines might be included between other defensive physical elements making up the so-called Eastern Shield, a system of enhanced fortifications Poland has been building on its borders with Belarus and Russia since 2024.


Share this story

Read Original at Euronews

Related Articles

Euronewsabout 1 hour ago
Pope Leo XIV: 'No change in Church doctrine on gays and trans people'

The Pontiff has dismissed any immediate prospect of change in the Vatican's stance on LGBT+ rights. It's one of many views he's discussed openly with Vaticanist Elise Ann Allen that are contained in a new book "Pope Leo XIV - The Biography."

Euronewsabout 2 hours ago
New luxury tourist train connecting Osaka to UNESCO-listed Mount Kōya to launch in April

Passengers will be able to explore pilgrimage routes, Shingon Buddhist temples and the largest cemetery in Japan.

Euronewsabout 2 hours ago
Latest news bulletin | February 22nd, 2026 – Midday

Catch up with the most important stories from around Europe and beyond this February 22nd, 2026 - latest news, breaking news, World, Business, Entertainment, Politics, Culture, Travel.

Euronewsabout 4 hours ago
Arab and Islamic states protest US Ambassador to Israel’s remarks on Israel land expansion

Tensions rise in the Middle East after US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee suggested Israel could control Arab territories, prompting strong condemnation from Arab and Islamic countries and regional organisations.

Euronewsabout 4 hours ago
Alcaraz stays perfect in 2026 with dominant Doha title run

World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz improved to 12–0 in 2026, defeating Arthur Fils 6–2, 6–1 to win the Qatar Open, while Fils capped a breakthrough week with a runner-up finish in Doha.

Euronewsabout 5 hours ago
Iranian students renew anti-government protests in Tehran amid a US military buildup

Videos geolocated at universities in Tehran show students chanting "bi sharaf," or "disgraceful" in Farsi, as clashes erupted against supporters of the government.