
Euronews · Feb 22, 2026 · Collected from RSS
World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz improved to 12–0 in 2026, defeating Arthur Fils 6–2, 6–1 to win the Qatar Open, while Fils capped a breakthrough week with a runner-up finish in Doha.
Published on 22/02/2026 - 10:24 GMT+1 World No. 1 Carlos Alcaraz extended his unbeaten start to the 2026 season on Saturday, defeating France’s Arthur Fils 6–2, 6–1 to lift the trophy at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha. The win improves the 22-year-old Spaniard’s record to 12–0 on the year, continuing the red-hot form he showed in January when he captured the Australian Open title. “I just played great today and I was really focused,” Alcaraz said afterward. “The finals are where you have to show your best level. I think Arthur started the match… making a lot of mistakes, and that gave me the confidence to play relaxed and calm. He let me dominate the game, dominated every point so I was in a good position almost every time.” From the first few games, Alcaraz dictated the tempo and kept Fils under constant pressure. Speaking to media in his post-match press conference, the Spaniard struck a more reflective tone when asked about his recent run. “For me, success is more than getting trophies,” Alcaraz said. “I learn from every match, on and off the court, and from every experience that I am having in my life. I am a totally different person and player since 2022 when I got to No. 1 and won my first Grand Slam. "I am trying to be a better person and a better player. I am getting more mature and I like the position I am in. That is real success for me. That is why I am proud and enjoying every time I step on the court.” A breakthrough week for Fils For Fils, though, this week in Doha was about much more than the final score. The 21-year-old, now ranked World No. 33, enjoyed one of the best tournaments of his young career. His run included a stunning semifinal victory over 16th-ranked Jakub Mensik. It marked a significant step forward for Fils, especially considering that just eight months ago, he was sidelined with a stress fracture in his back at last year’s French Open. “Well, of course, a good week,” Fils told Euronews. “I won four matches in a row. I’m in the final. Of course today, Carlos was on another level, playing way better than me, so he deserves completely the win and the whole tournament. That’s why he’s number one in the world right now. But yeah, I still have to feel the positive and move forward.” Three meetings, same result Saturday’s final marked the third career meeting between Alcaraz and Fils, and for the third time, it was the Spaniard who walked away with the win. The Qatar Open is one of only two ATP Tour stops in the Middle East. Attention now shifts to the Dubai Tennis Championships, which gets underway on Monday.