NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
All Articles
North Korea’s Hollywood-style thriller unveils taboo plot against Kim’s father
South China Morning Post
Published about 16 hours ago

North Korea’s Hollywood-style thriller unveils taboo plot against Kim’s father

South China Morning Post · Feb 22, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

North Korea aired a new propaganda film on TV about a failed assassination attempt on the country’s supreme leader, with South Korean media describing it as an “unprecedented work addressing a taboo”. The film Days and Nights of Confrontation, which had been screened at cinemas in Pyongyang since last year, was released for the first time on state-run Korean Central Television in January. The latest piece depicting a plot to kill Kim Jong-il, the late father of incumbent leader Kim Jong-un, by...

Full Article

North Korea aired a new propaganda film on TV about a failed assassination attempt on the country’s supreme leader, with South Korean media describing it as an “unprecedented work addressing a taboo”.The film Days and Nights of Confrontation, which had been screened at cinemas in Pyongyang since last year, was released for the first time on state-run Korean Central Television in January.The latest piece depicting a plot to kill Kim Jong-il, the late father of incumbent leader Kim Jong-un, by blowing up a train, is a sequel to the 2022 movie One Day, One Night, which was themed on an assassination attempt of Kim Il-sung, North Korea’s founder and the grandfather of the current leader.04:56How North Korea built a new ‘Pyonghattan’ despite sanctionsHow North Korea built a new ‘Pyonghattan’ despite sanctionsThe perpetrator of the plot to murder Kim Jong-il is a son of the man who attempted to kill Kim Il-sung. Both of the offenders are depicted as counter-revolutionary elements.According to South Korean media, the new suspenseful thriller, which reportedly won three awards at the Pyongyang International Film Festival, features Hollywood-style action sequences, including train fights, car chases and explosions.In 2024, the film 72 hours about lessons learned from the Korean war was released in North Korea. Kim Jong-un was closely involved in the production of the film featuring violent action scenes and computer graphics. He reportedly wrote the script and directed the acting.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Post17 minutes ago
New York Mayor Mamdani orders citywide travel ban ahead of major US storm

New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani on Sunday ordered the shutdown of the city’s entire traffic network for all but emergency travel ahead of a massive snowstorm expected to hit the northeast United States. Tens of millions of Americans from the US capital, Washington, to the northern state of Maine braced for the storm, with up to 60cm (2 feet) of snow forecast in some areas. The National Weather Service said blizzard conditions would “quickly materialise” from Maryland up to southeastern New...

South China Morning Postabout 1 hour ago
Mexican army kills leader of Jalisco New Generation Cartel, official says

The Mexican army killed the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, Nemesio Ruben Oseguera Cervantes, “El Mencho”, in an operation on Sunday, a federal official said. The official, who requested anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly, said it happened during a military operation in the western state of Jalisco. It followed several hours of roadblocks with burning vehicles in Jalisco and other states. Such tactics are commonly used by the cartels to block military...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
France will summon US envoy Charles Kushner over comments on activist’s death

France will summon US ambassador Charles Kushner to protest against comments by the Trump administration over the death of a far-right activist, the foreign affairs minister said. Jean-Noel Barrot was reacting to a statement by the State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau, which posted on social media that “reports, corroborated by the French Minister of the Interior, that Quentin Deranque was killed by left-wing militants, should concern us all”. Deranque, a far-right activist, died of brain...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
UK protection officers instructed to guard 2010 Epstein dinner party, reports say

London police officers assigned to King ⁠Charles’ younger brother ⁠Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor were instructed to provide ⁠security for a dinner party at Jeffrey Epstein’s New York home in 2010, British media reported on Sunday. The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, cited emails from the Epstein files that ‌appear to detail arrangements for Mountbatten-Windsor to stay with the late convicted sex offender in December 2010, along with his two protection officers from London’s...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
5 dogs found poisoned to death in Hong Kong’s New Territories in single week

A dog suspected to have been poisoned was found dead in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Sunday, the fifth such case in the past week, according to police. The force on Sunday said that between February 16 and Saturday, it had received four reports involving the discovery of five dead dogs suspected to have been poisoned in an open space on Liu Pok Road in Lok Ma Chau. The latest case had been classified as “cruelty to animals” following a preliminary investigation, but no arrests have been made...

South China Morning Postabout 5 hours ago
Hong Kong eyes booking system, fees after campers overrun hotspots

Hong Kong authorities are looking at implementing a booking system and charging fees for camping hotspots as part of a review of management strategies in response to public concerns about overcrowded beaches and litter during the Lunar New Year holiday. The Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) posted its plan on its Facebook page on Sunday after campers and hikers called for stronger public education, law enforcement and limits on visitor numbers at popular sites. At Ham...