NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
AlsNewsFebruaryMajorDane'sResearchElectionCandidateCampaignPartyStrikesDigestSundayTimelinePrivateCrisisPoliticalEricBlueCreditFundingRamadanAdditionalLaunches
AlsNewsFebruaryMajorDane'sResearchElectionCandidateCampaignPartyStrikesDigestSundayTimelinePrivateCrisisPoliticalEricBlueCreditFundingRamadanAdditionalLaunches
All Articles
No proof of any Singaporean fighting for Israel in Gaza, government says
South China Morning Post
Published 3 days ago

No proof of any Singaporean fighting for Israel in Gaza, government says

South China Morning Post · Feb 19, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Singapore has no substantiated information that any Singaporean is or was fighting as part of the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) during the war in Gaza, its Ministry of Home Affairs has said, after several media reports claimed two passport holders from the city state were among 200 Southeast Asians who had fought with Israeli troops. Qatari news outlet Al Jazeera reported on Sunday, citing information obtained by Israeli non-governmental organisation Hatzlacha under Israel’s Freedom of Information...

Full Article

Singapore has no substantiated information that any Singaporean is or was fighting as part of the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) during the war in Gaza, its Ministry of Home Affairs has said, after several media reports claimed two passport holders from the city state were among 200 Southeast Asians who had fought with Israeli troops.Qatari news outlet Al Jazeera reported on Sunday, citing information obtained by Israeli non-governmental organisation Hatzlacha under Israel’s Freedom of Information Law, that two Singapore passport holders were among more than 50,000 soldiers in the IDF who hold at least one other citizenship. One of them holds dual citizenship with Israel, and another has multiple citizenships, according to the report. Singapore-based broadcaster CNA also carried a similar report on Thursday, citing the official data obtained by Hatzlacha.In Singapore, it is illegal for citizens to join, support or participate in foreign armed conflicts. These laws apply even if they commit the acts outside Singapore.Adult citizens aged 21 and above are not allowed to hold dual citizenship, and once they have attained the citizenship of another country, they have to renounce their Singapore citizenship as soon as possible, according to the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.Responding to This Week in Asia, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said on Thursday it was aware of a foreign news report stating that two Singaporeans were among those who fought for the IDF during the conflict in Gaza.“MHA does not have any substantiated information at this point that any Singaporean is/was fighting as part of the IDF,” said MHA.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
How Trump’s Beijing bargaining could derail Taiwan’s multibillion-dollar defence budget

Taiwan’s parliament is set to prioritise review of a disputed NT$1.25 trillion (US$40 billion) special defence budget bill when its new session begins on Tuesday, as pressure mounts from Washington. But US President Donald Trump’s recent remarks about consulting Chinese President Xi Jinping on arms sales could complicate the debate, potentially giving Taipei’s opposition parties greater room to manoeuvre and reshape the final version of the bill, according to analysts. The renewed push follows...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Software connection: US firm opens doors for global adoption of China’s humanoid robots

US software company OpenMind, according to founder and CEO Jan Liphardt, caused a commotion last year at a park in San Francisco where the firm shot a promotional video. “A crowd of people came, children came running, cars stopped and the police came,” he said, because “there was a robot in the park”. In an interview, Liphardt told the South China Morning Post that such a scenario would have been treated differently on the other side of the world. “If a [Unitree] G1 walked across the street in...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Tributes paid to 6 firefighters killed in central China after truck veers off cliff

Relatives, colleagues and residents gathered in a county in central China on the weekend to pay tribute to six firefighters who died after putting out a blaze during the Chinese New Year holidays. The firefighters were killed on Thursday afternoon when their truck ran off a cliff in Xinhua county, Hunan province, as they were returning from extinguishing a house fire in the hills. A seventh firefighter in the truck was injured and transferred to a hospital in the capital city of Changsha that...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Why the Fed credibility crisis will hit emerging markets harder

As political pressure on the US Federal Reserve intensifies in Washington, the reverberations are rippling across the globe. Gregory Peters, co-chief investment officer of fixed income at PGIM, has noted that bringing political pressure to bear on the Fed is an “own goal” – a self-inflicted shock that erodes confidence and is unlikely to deliver lower borrowing costs for the US. This reassessment – marked by quiet “sell America” trades – is beginning to surface. The damage extends far beyond...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
Hong Kong official warns of lower payout if Tai Po fire victims reject buy-back plan

The acquisition price for properties damaged in Hong Kong’s deadly Tai Po fire will be “far lower” if homeowners reject the government’s buy-back offer and authorities are forced to use legislation to acquire the remaining properties, a senior official has said. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun on Sunday dismissed claims that the government was using public funds to cover its responsibility for the Tai Po tragedy, following online criticism that taxpayers’ money was being used to...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
Chef, 34, arrested for allegedly spraying unknown liquid on 3 women in Hong Kong

A 34-year-old chef has been arrested for allegedly dripping an unknown liquid on three female pedestrians near Hong Kong’s Tai Wai MTR station in separate incidents during the Christmas and Lunar New Year holiday periods. The first incident took place on Christmas morning, when a woman crossing a footbridge on Mei Tin Road felt liquid dripping on her hair and saw a man running away from her soon after. Police arrested the man on suspicion of common assault on January 8 and later released him on...