NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpFebruaryMilitaryCampaignHealthStrikesProtestsNewsTariffPolicyDigestSundayTimelinePartyIranCrisisOneSafetyLaunchTargetsPublicIranianNuclearDigital
TrumpFebruaryMilitaryCampaignHealthStrikesProtestsNewsTariffPolicyDigestSundayTimelinePartyIranCrisisOneSafetyLaunchTargetsPublicIranianNuclearDigital
All Articles
DW News
Published 9 days ago

Germany: Security alert halts flights at Cologne/Bonn airport

DW News · Feb 13, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Cologne/Bonn Airport temporarily suspended outgoing passenger processing after police cleared the security area as a precaution. The alert, which has been lifted, followed the introduction of new screening technology.

Full Article

Flight operations at Cologne/Bonn Airport were briefly suspended on Friday after a security incident. Federal police said departures had to be suspended, before being resumed a short time later, because the secure area needed to be closed off. Arrivals were not affected by the closure and were able to continue as normal. Why did Cologne/Bonn Airport stop flights? A spokesperson said the security screening checkpoint was shut at 6:37 a.m., and Terminal 1 and 2 security zones were cleared as a precautionary measure. There was apparently no immediate danger to life or the safety of passengers or staff. Police could not initially provide details about the incident because investigations were still ongoing, the spokesperson said. According to German public broadcaster WDR, new baggage scanners installed the previous day were at fault. They have since been taken out of service. WDR reported that employees had identified suspicious items in a bag. These items were clearly flagged as potentially dangerous on the security monitors, and the bag should have been removed from the system. However, instead of directing the bag to a separate conveyor belt for further inspection, the hand luggage was passed along the conveyor belt back to the passenger. The unknown person took the bag and disappeared further into the secure area. Federal police launched a search for the passenger and the luggage.Germany: Berlin flights still grounded over winter weatherTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video The airport reopened in the late morning. "Passengers are now streaming back into the security screening area, being checked again, and can then continue their journeys," a federal police spokesperson said. An airport spokesperson said departures had been impossible for around two and a half hours, affecting about a dozen flights and some 800 passengers. Those flights are now expected to be delayed, though no cancellations have been reported so far. Edited by: Sean Sinico


Share this story

Read Original at DW News

Related Articles

DW Newsabout 1 hour ago
Ghana takes transatlantic slavery case to UN

Ghana's President Mahama has received the African Union's backing in pushing the United Nations to recognize transatlantic slavery as the 'gravest crime against humanity.' But will the motion pass?

DW Newsabout 1 hour ago
Has Donald Trump lost his most powerful tariff weapon?

The US Supreme Court decision on tariffs has upended the central plank of President Donald Trump's economic and foreign policy. Will this lead to a change of course, or will Trump double down?

DW Newsabout 1 hour ago
European Commission urges US to honor trade deal

The EU's executive insisted that "a deal is a deal" after US President Donald Trump said he was raising a global 10% tariff to 15% in response to the US Supreme Court blocking many of his emergency tariffs.

DW Newsabout 4 hours ago
Secret Service shoots man dead at Trump's Mar-a-Lago

Authorities said the man breached a secure perimeter around the president's private residence and was carrying a shotgun and a fuel can.

DW Newsabout 4 hours ago
Secret Service shoots dead man at Trump's Mar-a-Lago

Authorities said the man breached a secure perimeter around the president's private residence and was carrying a shotgun and a fuel can.

DW Newsabout 4 hours ago
KLA veteran: 'Life is hard in Kosovo but we are free.'

Gezim Haxhimusa fought in the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA). This month, he celebrated independence day by protesting against a trial in The Hague. Four KLA leaders are in the dock for war crimes.