NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpFebruaryMilitaryCampaignNewsProtestsTariffMajorDigestSundayTimelinePartyHealthIranOnePolicyAnnouncesGameStrikesTargetsYearIranianNuclearDigital
TrumpFebruaryMilitaryCampaignNewsProtestsTariffMajorDigestSundayTimelinePartyHealthIranOnePolicyAnnouncesGameStrikesTargetsYearIranianNuclearDigital
All Articles
China’s first man in space Yang Liwei officially retires from active duty
South China Morning Post
Published 6 days ago

China’s first man in space Yang Liwei officially retires from active duty

South China Morning Post · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

China’s first man in space, Yang Liwei, has officially retired from active duty, but he has not stopped training and remains ready to don a spacesuit again if needed. He said in a CCTV interview on Saturday that the country’s first group of astronauts had been grounded in October according to regulations, but “if our motherland needs us, we can resume flights”. Yang, now a deputy chief designer for China’s crewed space programme, was the first Chinese national to reach Earth’s orbit in 2003. On...

Full Article

China’s first man in space, Yang Liwei, has officially retired from active duty, but he has not stopped training and remains ready to don a spacesuit again if needed.He said in a CCTV interview on Saturday that the country’s first group of astronauts had been grounded in October according to regulations, but “if our motherland needs us, we can resume flights”.Yang, now a deputy chief designer for China’s crewed space programme, was the first Chinese national to reach Earth’s orbit in 2003.On October 15 of that year, he blasted off aboard the Shenzhou-5 spacecraft on a Long March-2F rocket, just 16 hours after he was told that he had been selected for the mission from a shortlist of three astronauts, according to the China Manned Space Agency (CMSA).During the Shenzhou-5 mission, Yang spent 21 hours in space, orbiting the Earth 14 times.It was a turning point for the nation’s human space flight programme, which began in 1992, and made China the third country to independently send humans into space.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 1 hour ago
France will summon US envoy Charles Kushner over comments on activist’s death

France will summon US ambassador Charles Kushner to protest against comments by the Trump administration over the death of a far-right activist, the foreign affairs minister said. Jean-Noel Barrot was reacting to a statement by the State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau, which posted on social media that “reports, corroborated by the French Minister of the Interior, that Quentin Deranque was killed by left-wing militants, should concern us all”. Deranque, a far-right activist, died of brain...

South China Morning Postabout 1 hour ago
UK protection officers instructed to guard 2010 Epstein dinner party, reports say

London police officers assigned to King ⁠Charles’ younger brother ⁠Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor were instructed to provide ⁠security for a dinner party at Jeffrey Epstein’s New York home in 2010, British media reported on Sunday. The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, cited emails from the Epstein files that ‌appear to detail arrangements for Mountbatten-Windsor to stay with the late convicted sex offender in December 2010, along with his two protection officers from London’s...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
5 dogs found poisoned to death in Hong Kong’s New Territories in single week

A dog suspected to have been poisoned was found dead in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Sunday, the fifth such case in the past week, according to police. The force on Sunday said that between February 16 and Saturday, it had received four reports involving the discovery of five dead dogs suspected to have been poisoned in an open space on Liu Pok Road in Lok Ma Chau. The latest case had been classified as “cruelty to animals” following a preliminary investigation, but no arrests have been made...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
Hong Kong eyes booking system, fees after campers overrun hotspots

Hong Kong authorities are looking at implementing a booking system and charging fees for camping hotspots as part of a review of management strategies in response to public concerns about overcrowded beaches and litter during the Lunar New Year holiday. The Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) posted its plan on its Facebook page on Sunday after campers and hikers called for stronger public education, law enforcement and limits on visitor numbers at popular sites. At Ham...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
US Secret Service kills armed man entering Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

The US Secret Service announced on Sunday that an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s resort in Palm Beach, Florida. Although Trump often spends weekends at his resort, he was at the White House during this incident. First lady Melania Trump was also with the president. The name of the person who was shot has not been released. According to the Secret Service, he was “observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
Hungary spoils EU attempt at Russia sanctions package over oil flows

Hungary threatened to block a new package of European Union sanctions against Russia and to stall efforts to help Ukraine until Russian oil deliveries to Hungary resume. The EU’s foreign ministers are set to meet in Brussels on Monday to discuss the bloc’s 20th round of sanctions against Moscow, a measure they hope will be approved in time to coincide with the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on Tuesday. In a video posted to social media on Sunday, Hungarian Foreign Minister...