NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpFebruaryMilitaryStrikesMajorIranAnnouncesIranianNewsTariffNuclearAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineTargetingGameYearHealthHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimited
TrumpFebruaryMilitaryStrikesMajorIranAnnouncesIranianNewsTariffNuclearAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineTargetingGameYearHealthHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimited
All Articles
Can Manila’s South China Sea strategy of defiance and diplomacy hold?
South China Morning Post
Published 7 days ago

Can Manila’s South China Sea strategy of defiance and diplomacy hold?

South China Morning Post · Feb 15, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Last month, in the same week that Chinese and Philippine diplomats restarted political dialogue for the first time in over a year, the People’s Liberation Army bombers conducted combat patrols over Scarborough Shoal. China then released a video marking the fifth anniversary of its coastguard law, emphasising the force’s legal mandate and role in maritime governance. It also features footage of the June 2024 confrontation with the Philippines. In the South China Sea, conference rooms and...

Full Article

Last month, in the same week that Chinese and Philippine diplomats restarted political dialogue for the first time in over a year, the People’s Liberation Army bombers conducted combat patrols over Scarborough Shoal. China then released a video marking the fifth anniversary of its coastguard law, emphasising the force’s legal mandate and role in maritime governance. It also features footage of the June 2024 confrontation with the Philippines.In the South China Sea, conference rooms and contested shoals operate on parallel tracks. Whether this compartmentalisation can hold or whether the next incident drags everyone into a crisis is fast becoming a regional question, not merely a bilateral one.Days after the diplomatic talks in the Philippine city of Cebu, a multilateral senior officials’ meeting on the South China Sea – attended by China and other claimants within the Association of Southeast Asian Nations – endorsed a road map to advance code of conduct negotiations. Manila’s recent 14-day visa-free policy for Chinese nationals added another conciliatory signal. Both developments suggest Beijing and Manila prefer managed competition to uncontrolled escalation.Yet events at sea that week told a different story. US-Philippine joint patrols operated near Scarborough Shoal, followed by Chinese patrols. As both capitals seek to shape the narrative, space for quiet de-escalation is shrinking.In some ways, this two-track dynamic offers Beijing and Manila flexibility. Diplomats point to dialogue as evidence of responsible statecraft. Security establishments show resolve without triggering escalation. Domestic audiences see their government standing firm.China and Japan have managed something similar for years around the Diaoyu Islands – regular military encounters and parallel diplomatic engagement. Tensions have flared but ties were not ruptured. However, several dynamics are stress testing this model in ways the East China Sea never has.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 1 hour ago
France will summon US envoy Charles Kushner over comments on activist’s death

France will summon US ambassador Charles Kushner to protest against comments by the Trump administration over the death of a far-right activist, the foreign affairs minister said. Jean-Noel Barrot was reacting to a statement by the State Department’s Counterterrorism Bureau, which posted on social media that “reports, corroborated by the French Minister of the Interior, that Quentin Deranque was killed by left-wing militants, should concern us all”. Deranque, a far-right activist, died of brain...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
UK protection officers instructed to guard 2010 Epstein dinner party, reports say

London police officers assigned to King ⁠Charles’ younger brother ⁠Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor were instructed to provide ⁠security for a dinner party at Jeffrey Epstein’s New York home in 2010, British media reported on Sunday. The Sunday Times, which first reported the story, cited emails from the Epstein files that ‌appear to detail arrangements for Mountbatten-Windsor to stay with the late convicted sex offender in December 2010, along with his two protection officers from London’s...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
5 dogs found poisoned to death in Hong Kong’s New Territories in single week

A dog suspected to have been poisoned was found dead in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Sunday, the fifth such case in the past week, according to police. The force on Sunday said that between February 16 and Saturday, it had received four reports involving the discovery of five dead dogs suspected to have been poisoned in an open space on Liu Pok Road in Lok Ma Chau. The latest case had been classified as “cruelty to animals” following a preliminary investigation, but no arrests have been made...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
Hong Kong eyes booking system, fees after campers overrun hotspots

Hong Kong authorities are looking at implementing a booking system and charging fees for camping hotspots as part of a review of management strategies in response to public concerns about overcrowded beaches and litter during the Lunar New Year holiday. The Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) posted its plan on its Facebook page on Sunday after campers and hikers called for stronger public education, law enforcement and limits on visitor numbers at popular sites. At Ham...

South China Morning Postabout 4 hours ago
US Secret Service kills armed man entering Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

The US Secret Service announced on Sunday that an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s resort in Palm Beach, Florida. Although Trump often spends weekends at his resort, he was at the White House during this incident. First lady Melania Trump was also with the president. The name of the person who was shot has not been released. According to the Secret Service, he was “observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property...

South China Morning Postabout 5 hours ago
Hungary spoils EU attempt at Russia sanctions package over oil flows

Hungary threatened to block a new package of European Union sanctions against Russia and to stall efforts to help Ukraine until Russian oil deliveries to Hungary resume. The EU’s foreign ministers are set to meet in Brussels on Monday to discuss the bloc’s 20th round of sanctions against Moscow, a measure they hope will be approved in time to coincide with the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on Tuesday. In a video posted to social media on Sunday, Hungarian Foreign Minister...