NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
AlsTrumpFebruaryMajorDane'sResearchElectionCandidateCampaignPartyStrikesNewsDigestSundayTimelineLaunchesPrivateGlobalCongressionalCrisisPoliticalEricBlueCredit
AlsTrumpFebruaryMajorDane'sResearchElectionCandidateCampaignPartyStrikesNewsDigestSundayTimelineLaunchesPrivateGlobalCongressionalCrisisPoliticalEricBlueCredit
All Articles
Australian police arrest man, recover stolen Egyptian artefacts after museum heist
South China Morning Post
Published 6 days ago

Australian police arrest man, recover stolen Egyptian artefacts after museum heist

South China Morning Post · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Australian police have recovered a trove of stolen Egyptian artefacts and charged a 52-year-old man with a nighttime smash and grab at a museum. The man was accused of breaking a window and making off with the priceless treasures in the early hours of Friday from the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology in the Queensland town of Caboolture. Police said they found all the stolen goods – except for a wooden cat sculpture believed to be around 2,600 years old and from the 26th dynasty of ancient...

Full Article

Australian police have recovered a trove of stolen Egyptian artefacts and charged a 52-year-old man with a nighttime smash and grab at a museum.The man was accused of breaking a window and making off with the priceless treasures in the early hours of Friday from the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology in the Queensland town of Caboolture.Police said they found all the stolen goods – except for a wooden cat sculpture believed to be around 2,600 years old and from the 26th dynasty of ancient Egypt – with only minor damage when they searched a car the following day at a ferry terminal south of the museum.They arrested the suspect on the same evening on Russell Island, a small island off the coast of Queensland, according to American broadcaster NBC News. “Police will allege the man was found in possession of the last missing artefact, the wooden cat sculpture,” they said.A wooden cat figurine that was stolen from the Abbey Museum of Art and Archaeology. Photo: Queensland PoliceThe man, named by local media as Miguel Simon Mungarrieta Monsalve, was charged with various counts including breaking and entering, and three counts of wilful damage.In court on Monday, a prosecutor said the man stole a mummy mask, a collar, a necklace reportedly 3,300 years old and the wooden cat while also causing “irreparable damage” to other items, according to public broadcaster ABC.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Post19 minutes ago
How Trump’s Beijing bargaining could derail Taiwan’s multibillion-dollar defence budget

Taiwan’s parliament is set to prioritise review of a disputed NT$1.25 trillion (US$40 billion) special defence budget bill when its new session begins on Tuesday, as pressure mounts from Washington. But US President Donald Trump’s recent remarks about consulting Chinese President Xi Jinping on arms sales could complicate the debate, potentially giving Taipei’s opposition parties greater room to manoeuvre and reshape the final version of the bill, according to analysts. The renewed push follows...

South China Morning Post20 minutes ago
Software connection: US firm opens doors for global adoption of China’s humanoid robots

US software company OpenMind, according to founder and CEO Jan Liphardt, caused a commotion last year at a park in San Francisco where the firm shot a promotional video. “A crowd of people came, children came running, cars stopped and the police came,” he said, because “there was a robot in the park”. In an interview, Liphardt told the South China Morning Post that such a scenario would have been treated differently on the other side of the world. “If a [Unitree] G1 walked across the street in...

South China Morning Postabout 1 hour ago
Tributes paid to 6 firefighters killed in central China after truck veers off cliff

Relatives, colleagues and residents gathered in a county in central China on the weekend to pay tribute to six firefighters who died after putting out a blaze during the Chinese New Year holidays. The firefighters were killed on Thursday afternoon when their truck ran off a cliff in Xinhua county, Hunan province, as they were returning from extinguishing a house fire in the hills. A seventh firefighter in the truck was injured and transferred to a hospital in the capital city of Changsha that...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Why the Fed credibility crisis will hit emerging markets harder

As political pressure on the US Federal Reserve intensifies in Washington, the reverberations are rippling across the globe. Gregory Peters, co-chief investment officer of fixed income at PGIM, has noted that bringing political pressure to bear on the Fed is an “own goal” – a self-inflicted shock that erodes confidence and is unlikely to deliver lower borrowing costs for the US. This reassessment – marked by quiet “sell America” trades – is beginning to surface. The damage extends far beyond...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong official warns of lower payout if Tai Po fire victims reject buy-back plan

The acquisition price for properties damaged in Hong Kong’s deadly Tai Po fire will be “far lower” if homeowners reject the government’s buy-back offer and authorities are forced to use legislation to acquire the remaining properties, a senior official has said. Deputy Financial Secretary Michael Wong Wai-lun on Sunday dismissed claims that the government was using public funds to cover its responsibility for the Tai Po tragedy, following online criticism that taxpayers’ money was being used to...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Chef, 34, arrested for allegedly spraying unknown liquid on 3 women in Hong Kong

A 34-year-old chef has been arrested for allegedly dripping an unknown liquid on three female pedestrians near Hong Kong’s Tai Wai MTR station in separate incidents during the Christmas and Lunar New Year holiday periods. The first incident took place on Christmas morning, when a woman crossing a footbridge on Mei Tin Road felt liquid dripping on her hair and saw a man running away from her soon after. Police arrested the man on suspicion of common assault on January 8 and later released him on...