NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryPhotosYourCarLotSayCourtDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketTechChina
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryPhotosYourCarLotSayCourtDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketTechChina
All Articles
US , Iran to hold new round of nuclear talks in Geneva this week , Swiss government says
calgary.citynews.ca
Clustered Story
Published 7 days ago

US , Iran to hold new round of nuclear talks in Geneva this week , Swiss government says

calgary.citynews.ca · Feb 15, 2026 · Collected from GDELT

Summary

Published: 20260215T073000Z

Full Article

Posted Feb 14, 2026 12:33 pm. GENEVA (AP) — Iran and the United States will hold a second round of talks over Tehran’s nuclear program next week, the Swiss Foreign Ministry said Saturday. Oman, which welcomed the first round of indirect talks on Feb. 6, will host the talks in Geneva, the Swiss ministry said, without specifying which days. After the first discussions, U.S. President Donald Trump warned Tehran that failure to reach an agreement with his administration would be “very traumatic.” Similar talks last year broke down in June as Israel launched what became a 12-day war on Iran that included the U.S. bombing Iranian nuclear sites. Trump has repeatedly threatened to use force to compel Iran to agree to constrain its nuclear program. Iran has said it would respond with an attack of its own. Trump also has threatened Iran over its deadly crackdown on recent nationwide protests there. Gulf Arab nations have warned any attack could spiral into another regional conflict. Trump said Friday the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, was being sent from the Caribbean to the Mideast to join other military assets the U.S. has built up in the region. He also said a change in power in Iran “would be the best thing that could happen.” The indirect talks on Feb. 6 were between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and U.S. Mideast envoy Steve Witkoff. The top military commander in the Middle East was also present for the first time. The Trump administration has maintained that Iran can have no uranium enrichment under any deal. Tehran says it won’t agree to that. Iran has insisted its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes. However, its officials increasingly threaten to pursue a nuclear weapon. Before the June war, Iran had been enriching uranium up to 60% purity, a short, technical step away from weapons-grade levels. Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian has said his nation is “ready for any kind of verification.” However, the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, has been unable for months to inspect and verify Iran’s nuclear stockpile. Trump has suggested in recent weeks that his top priority is for Iran to scale back its nuclear program. Iran has said it wants talks to focus solely on the nuclear program. But Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who met with Trump in Washington this week, has pressed for any deal to include steps to neutralize Iran’s ballistic missile program and end its funding for proxy groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah. The Associated Press


Share this story

Read Original at calgary.citynews.ca

Related Articles

Al Jazeeraabout 2 hours ago
Iran-US tensions: What would blocking Strait of Hormuz mean for oil, LNG?

More than $500bn in oil and gas flows through waterway annually, leaving the global economy exposed to disruptions.

livemint.com1 day ago
Iran - US tensions : How Tehran may be preparing for larger conflict fortification , naval drills , Shamkhani appointment

Published: 20260221T031500Z

oilprice.com2 days ago
Experts Sees Even Odds of Peace or Conflict With Iran

Published: 20260220T151500Z

gazeta.ua2 days ago
Иран и США – о чем предупредил представитель Тегерана секретаря ООН

Published: 20260220T123000Z

South China Morning Post2 days ago
What would blocking the Strait of Hormuz mean for global oil and LNG shipments?

Iran partially and temporarily closed the strategic Strait of Hormuz during a military drill on Tuesday, thrusting the vital shipping route under the global spotlight once again. The hours-long suspension was the first time Tehran had restricted traffic through the strait since US President Donald Trump’s warning last month that Washington could take military action over Iran’s nuclear programme, with tensions still high between the two sides despite recent bilateral talks in Geneva. Here, we...

Bloomberg2 days ago
Surging Oil Tanker Rates Tipped to Go Even Higher on Iran Risk

The cost to hire oil supertankers could be headed for the highest levels this decade on the growing risk of a major US attack on Iran, and as ownership of the vessels becomes more concentrated.