NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
AlsFebruaryTrumpIranNuclearMajorDane'sResearchElectionCandidateCampaignPartyNewsDigestSundayTimelinePressureOneMilitaryPrivateStrikesGlobalTariffsNation
AlsFebruaryTrumpIranNuclearMajorDane'sResearchElectionCandidateCampaignPartyNewsDigestSundayTimelinePressureOneMilitaryPrivateStrikesGlobalTariffsNation
All Articles
United States and Iran at impasse after Geneva nuclear talks
DW News
Clustered Story
Published 4 days ago

United States and Iran at impasse after Geneva nuclear talks

DW News · Feb 18, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

The latest round of negotiations on Iran's nuclear program has ended without a breakthrough — and the threat of US military action looms large. The ball seems to be back in Iran's court.

Full Article

A second round of indirect negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva on Monday ended without concrete results. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and a team of technical experts met with US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and US President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner — but both sides had little to show for it after over three hours of talks at the Omani embassy. Afterwards, Araghchi said the meeting was "more constructive" than the previous round held earlier this month. "Good progress was made compared to the previous meeting, and we now have a clearer path ahead," Araghchi told Iranian state-run television. Araghchi added that "a set of guiding principles" had been reached, but did not share further details. "This does not mean that we can reach an agreement quickly, but at least the path has begun," he said. US-Iran talks mediated by Oman were launched on February 6, but it is currently unclear if another round is on the horizon. Before Monday's talks, Iran's Foreign Ministry said Araghchi is prepared to stay in Geneva as long as it takes to reach a result. Uranium enrichment still 'red line' for US "Optimism in negotiations is usually part of political rhetoric and also accompanied earlier rounds of talks," political scientist Mohammad Ghaedi at George Washington University told DW. "The core conflict between the two sides remains," he said, adding that Iran's uranium enrichment is a "red line" for Washington. "Tehran, on the other hand, does not want to give up enrichment. As long as the centrifuges are running, Iran retains the option of nuclear deterrence. If the centrifuges stop running, the country loses this deterrence," Ghaedi added. What's on the table in the US-Iran negotiations in Geneva?To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video At the same time, Tehran has signaled its willingness to limit its nuclear program and transfer its 60% enriched uranium to a third country. Any agreement where the US accepts continued uranium enrichment would be seen as a major concession in Tehran. The Iranian regime insists its nuclear development is for civilian use, and denies it is trying to produce nuclear weapons. However, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in late 2024 warned that Iran's uranium enrichment was approaching weapons-grade level, and was already far higher than that needed for peacetime purposes. The Islamic Republic is demanding the lifting of sanctions in return for limiting its uranium enrichment, a step that the US has so far rejected. "Tehran is more willing to accept a military conflict than to completely abandon uranium enrichment," said Ghaedi. The Iranian leadership has repeatedly ruled out negotiating other sticking points such as missile programs or their support for regional militant proxies. Iranians say IAEA is welcome once again One day before the latest round of negotiations, Iran's Araghchi met with IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi. Relations between Tehran and the IAEA deteriorated following the US attacks on Iranian nuclear facilities last year. Iran has subsequently restricted access for international inspectors. On February 15, however, Iran's National Security chief Ali Larijani told Al Jazeera that the IAEA "can monitor all Iranian facilities. We accept the controls under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty." Larijani added it would be unrealistic to expect a country that had mastered the technical knowhow to completely give up uranium enrichment. He pointed to the need for uranium for civilian purposes, including cancer treatment. In Tehran, a research reactor still produces cancer medication using uranium enriched to 20%.Risk of regional conflict Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei renewed his threats against the US on Tuesday, claiming President Trump will fail in his "attempt to overthrow" the Islamic leadership in Tehran. Trump has previously said that "regime change" in Tehran might be the best thing that could happen to Iran. His comments follow the brutal suppression of nationwide protests in Iran. Over the weekend, around 1 million Iranians in the diaspora gathered in cities around the world to demonstrate for regime change, with some calling for the return of exiled opposition figure Reza Pahlavi, the son of the last Shah who was overthrown in 1979. Under pressure from various sides, the regime in Tehran is attempting to demonstrate its military strength.Iran and US flex military muscle as talks are held in GenevaTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video On Tuesday, the Revolutionary Guard Navy began maneuvers and, according to its own statements, fired missiles at targets in the Strait of Hormuz. Speedboats equipped with rocket launchers were also involved in the exercise. The strait, which is approximately 55 kilometers (34 miles) wide, is considered one of the world's most important shipping routes for global oil exports. Iranian officers have repeatedly threatened a blockade during previous tensions with the US. US increases military posture in the Middle East The US has "a lot of options" when it comes to dealing with Iran, US Vice President JD Vance told Fox News on Tuesday evening. He accused the government in Tehran of failing to recognize the "red lines" set by Trump, adding that the US president had numerous tools at his disposal to ensure that Iran does not acquire a nuclear bomb. Vance also repeated the accusations that Tehran is trying to build a nuclear weapon. In recent weeks, the US has increased its military presence in the region, sending two aircraft carrier strike groups to the Arabian Sea. Oil wells in the region are vulnerable to attacks from Iran. If Washington decides to intervene, observers warn that the escalation could drive up oil prices inside the US as the country prepares for the midterm elections, and potentially harm Trump's Republican party. US sends largest aircraft carrier to Middle EastTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video "Furthermore, the death of even a single US soldier in such a conflict would have considerable political costs," political scientist Ghaedi said. "The decision to go to war lies in the hands of the US. How long a conflict would last is beyond its control and carries high risks. This circumstance is likely to have a significant influence on President Trump's decision-making," he added. US government circles have reported that many details remain unresolved despite the progress being made in Geneva. The ball seems to be back in Tehran's court. The Iranian side wants to "come back with detailed proposals in the next two weeks to clarify some of the outstanding differences," Germany's DPA news agency quoted a senior US official as saying. This article was originally written in German.


Share this story

Read Original at DW News

Related Articles

livemint.com1 day ago
Iran - US tensions : How Tehran may be preparing for larger conflict fortification , naval drills , Shamkhani appointment

Published: 20260221T031500Z

oilprice.com1 day ago
Experts Sees Even Odds of Peace or Conflict With Iran

Published: 20260220T151500Z

gazeta.ua2 days ago
Иран и США – о чем предупредил представитель Тегерана секретаря ООН

Published: 20260220T123000Z

South China Morning Post2 days ago
What would blocking the Strait of Hormuz mean for global oil and LNG shipments?

Iran partially and temporarily closed the strategic Strait of Hormuz during a military drill on Tuesday, thrusting the vital shipping route under the global spotlight once again. The hours-long suspension was the first time Tehran had restricted traffic through the strait since US President Donald Trump’s warning last month that Washington could take military action over Iran’s nuclear programme, with tensions still high between the two sides despite recent bilateral talks in Geneva. Here, we...

Bloomberg2 days ago
Surging Oil Tanker Rates Tipped to Go Even Higher on Iran Risk

The cost to hire oil supertankers could be headed for the highest levels this decade on the growing risk of a major US attack on Iran, and as ownership of the vessels becomes more concentrated.

lewrockwell.com2 days ago
Diplomacy or Deception ? U . S . Builds Firepower While Iran Fortifies

Published: 20260220T071500Z