NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeLaunchAnnouncePricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaMarketCourtNewsDigestSundayTimelineHongKongServiceMilitaryTechSafetyGlobalOil
TrumpTariffTradeLaunchAnnouncePricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaMarketCourtNewsDigestSundayTimelineHongKongServiceMilitaryTechSafetyGlobalOil
All Articles
Al Jazeera
Clustered Story
Published 8 days ago

Two Philippine senators named ‘co-perpetrators’ in Duterte ICC case

Al Jazeera · Feb 14, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Former Philippine justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II also among eight current, past officials named in complaint.

Full Article

Former Philippine justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II also among eight current, past officials named in complaint.Published On 14 Feb 2026Two sitting Philippine senators have been identified as “co-perpetrators” in former president Rodrigo Duterte‘s crimes against humanity trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC), documents released by prosecutors show.Senators Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa and Christopher “Bong” Go are among eight current and former officials named in a document dated February 13 and posted to the court’s website late on Friday.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Why has the Philippines arrested ex-president Duterte on ICC warrant?list 2 of 3ICC charges ex-Philippine President Duterte with crimes against humanitylist 3 of 3ICC rejects ex-Philippine leader Duterte’s appeal for provisional releaseend of listDuterte was arrested in the Philippines’ capital, Manila, in March 2025, and was swiftly flown to the Netherlands, where he has been held in ICC custody at The Hague. The 80-year-old insists his arrest was unlawful.ICC prosecutors have charged him with three counts of crimes against humanity, alleging his involvement in at least 76 murders as part of his “war on drugs”.“Duterte and his co-perpetrators shared a common plan or agreement to ‘neutralise’ alleged criminals in the Philippines [including those perceived or alleged to be associated with drug use, sale or production] through violent crimes including murder,” the prosecution document reads.Dela Rosa, the former national police chief and enforcer of Duterte’s drug war, has previously said he believed he faced potential arrest and has been in hiding for months.Go, re-elected in May in a landslide victory, was a key lieutenant of Duterte during both the latter’s terms as mayor of southern Davao City and as president from 2016 to 2022.A representative of Dela Rosa said they had not yet seen the document. Go has yet to comment on the latest development.It was not immediately clear if any of the men named in the prosecution document would face charges in court.In a statement posted on Facebook, Kristina Conti, lawyer of several of the deceased victims’ families, noted that it’s the first time “significant details” were disclosed by the ICC to the public.She said the inclusion of several high-ranking officials under Duterte showed that the deadly drug war under his presidency “was crafted not only to ensure implementation, but to ensure impunity”.“The involvement of those in the investigating units, which should have acted as the killings happen, is material to the plan. This also emphasizes that the ‘war on drugs’ began in Davao,” Conti said.Duterte is facing a four-day “confirmation of charges” hearing from February 23, in which judges will decide whether the prosecution’s allegations are strong enough to proceed to trial.Judges have rejected arguments that the 80-year-old, who was arrested in March last year and transferred to the Netherlands the same day, was unfit to stand trial.Go and Dela Rosa have been named as co-perpetrators in acts that took place during Duterte’s tenures as Davao mayor and president.Former Philippine justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II, who served as a lawyer for Duterte in cases involving the so-called “Davao Death Squad”, is also among the eight men named.Ross Tugade, an ICC-accredited lawyer from the Philippines, said in a post on Facebook that the inclusion of the names of former Duterte officials indicates “that the ICC has evidence” to show a “criminal structure” in the commission of the alleged crimes.The first of three counts against Duterte concerns his alleged involvement as a co-perpetrator in 19 murders carried out between 2013 and 2016 while he was mayor of Davao City.The second relates to 14 murders of so-called “High Value Targets” in 2016 and 2017 when Duterte was president.The third charge covers 43 murders committed during “clearance” operations of lower-level alleged drug users or pushers.These took place across the Philippines between 2016 and 2018, the prosecution alleged.The ICC also on Friday allowed the addition of 500 more complainants against Duterte in the trial.Philippine Senator Christopher Go (left) served as the closest aide to Duterte since he was mayor of the southern city of Davao until his time as president of the Philippines [File: Handout Photo/PPD via AFP]


Share this story

Read Original at Al Jazeera

Related Articles

South China Morning Post2 days ago
Families of Philippine drug war victims seek ICC justice as Duterte trial looms

Mary Ann Pajo watched quietly as cemetery workers opened her son’s tomb in Manila this week and removed his body for examination by a forensic pathologist. Accused of dealing drugs, 30-year-old Joewarski Pajo was shot dead while playing a game on his phone, one of thousands of extrajudicial killings alleged to have taken place under former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte. A hearing begins at the International Criminal Court on Monday that will determine whether Duterte will stand trial over...

South China Morning Post6 days ago
ICC naming of Duterte’s allies sharpens Philippines’ political fault lines

The International Criminal Court’s (ICC) decision to publicly name two sitting Philippine senators as alleged “co-perpetrators” in Rodrigo Duterte’s crimes against humanity case has shifted the spotlight to Manila, sharpening both the former president’s legal exposure and the country’s already fraught political fault lines. A more detailed version of prosecution filings posted on the ICC website on Friday identified Senators Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and Christopher “Bong” Go among eight officials...

South China Morning Post8 days ago
Philippine senators Go, Dela Rosa helped Duterte wage drug war: ICC prosecutors

Two sitting Philippine senators have been identified as “co-perpetrators” in former president Rodrigo Duterte’s crimes against humanity trial at the International Criminal Court, documents released by prosecutors show. Senators Ronald Dela Rosa and Christopher Go are among eight current and former officials named in a document posted to the court’s website on Friday. ICC prosecutors have charged Duterte with three counts of crimes against humanity, alleging his involvement in at least 76 murders...

Al Jazeeraabout 2 hours ago
Sudan condemns RSF chief’s visit to Uganda as minimising ‘human values’

Uganda Ministry of Foreign Affairs says Mohamed Dagalo's meeting with President Yoweri Museveni focused on ending war.

Al Jazeeraabout 3 hours ago
Man killed after entering perimeter of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort

The incident in Florida took place on Sunday when US President Donald Trump was in Washington, DC.

Al Jazeeraabout 3 hours ago
France to summon US ambassador over comments on far-right activist’s death

Top French diplomat says his government rejects any attempt to use Quentin Deranque's death 'for political purposes'.