NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaCourtLaunchDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketOilHongKongTechMilitaryTargets
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaCourtLaunchDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketOilHongKongTechMilitaryTargets
All Articles
Twelve killed in China fireworks shop blast during Lunar New Year
Al Jazeera
Clustered Story
Published 3 days ago

Twelve killed in China fireworks shop blast during Lunar New Year

Al Jazeera · Feb 19, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Five children among the dead as authorities warn of ongoing holiday safety risks.

Full Article

Five children among the dead as authorities warn of ongoing holiday safety risks.Published On 19 Feb 2026An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China’s Hubei province has killed at least 12 people, state media reported, marking the second deadly blast linked to fireworks as the country celebrates the Lunar New Year.The explosion tore through the shop in Xiangyang on Wednesday afternoon. Emergency crews extinguished the blaze soon after, according to the state-run Xinhua News Agency.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Photos: Lunar New Year celebrations welcome Year of the Fire Horselist 2 of 3Humanoid robots perform advanced martial arts at Chinese New Year galalist 3 of 3Calculated hypocrisy: Why Western powers court Beijing but rely on USend of listAuthorities have launched an investigation into the cause but have not released further details.Officials said five children and seven adults died in the explosion. The victims included the shop owner and customers who had been buying fireworks for holiday celebrations. Some had travelled from other areas to visit relatives during the festive period.Fireworks remain a longstanding part of Lunar New Year traditions across China, where families set them off to usher in prosperity and ward off misfortune.However, their widespread use has also led to repeated safety incidents.On Sunday, another explosion at a fireworks shop in Jiangsu province killed eight people and injured two. Local authorities said a resident had ignited fireworks near the building before that blast.Following the recent accidents, China’s Ministry of Emergency Management issued renewed safety warnings.In a statement on Tuesday, the ministry said that “fireworks are still the biggest risks during the Spring Festival period,” and urged regional governments to strengthen oversight of the industry.On Monday, the ministry instructed all regions to learn from the Jiangsu incident and tighten supervision, stressing the need to “resolutely prevent” similar accidents. Officials also called for comprehensive risk assessments and heightened vigilance during the holiday.Many cities have previously imposed restrictions or outright bans on fireworks over air quality and safety concerns. In recent years, however, some local governments have eased blanket bans in favour of regulated use.


Share this story

Read Original at Al Jazeera

Related Articles

South China Morning Post4 days ago
12 killed in China’s second deadly Lunar New Year firework explosion

Twelve people were killed in an explosion at a firework shop in Hubei in central China on Wednesday, just days after eight people died in a similar incident in a nearby province. The accident happened just before 2.30pm on the second day of Lunar New Year in Zhengji township in the city of Xiangyang, state news agency Xinhua reported. The report added that the subsequent fire spread across the premises and was put out within an hour. An investigation into the cause is under way. The explosion...

South China Morning Post7 days ago
8 dead in fireworks shop blast at start of China’s Lunar New Year holiday

The Ministry of Emergency Management has warned officials of the urgent need to prevent a repeat of the fireworks explosion that killed eight people in Jiangsu province, eastern China, on Sunday, the start of the country’s nine-day Lunar New Year holiday. The ministry convened an emergency meeting following the blast at a fireworks shop in Dongan village in Donghai county, which happened after a villager “improperly set off fireworks near the store”. According to state broadcaster CCTV, two...

Al Jazeeraabout 2 hours ago
Sudan condemns RSF chief’s visit to Uganda as minimising ‘human values’

Uganda Ministry of Foreign Affairs says Mohamed Dagalo's meeting with President Yoweri Museveni focused on ending war.

Al Jazeeraabout 3 hours ago
Man killed after entering perimeter of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort

The incident in Florida took place on Sunday when US President Donald Trump was in Washington, DC.

Al Jazeeraabout 3 hours ago
France to summon US ambassador over comments on far-right activist’s death

Top French diplomat says his government rejects any attempt to use Quentin Deranque's death 'for political purposes'.

Al Jazeeraabout 3 hours ago
Video: Hundreds of far-right anti-Islam protesters march in Manchester

Hundreds of far-right anti-Islam marched through Manchester on Saturday, demanding mass deportations of migrants.