NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
MilitaryAnnounceMajorTariffMarketChinaTradePricesCourtLegalPressureTargetStrikeFebruaryNuclearIssueTrumpLaborHongKongTechSafetyTensionsLaunch
MilitaryAnnounceMajorTariffMarketChinaTradePricesCourtLegalPressureTargetStrikeFebruaryNuclearIssueTrumpLaborHongKongTechSafetyTensionsLaunch
All Articles
Trump says Iran regime change 'best thing that could happen' as second carrier heads to region
France 24
Clustered Story
Published 8 days ago

Trump says Iran regime change 'best thing that could happen' as second carrier heads to region

France 24 · Feb 14, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

US President Donald Trump said Friday that a change in power in Iran "would be the best thing that could happen" as he confirmed the deployment of a second aircraft carrier group to the Middle East. The US president is hoping to strike a deal with Iran to curb its nuclear programme, but has warned of severe consequences if one does not come through.

Full Article

US President Donald Trump on Friday embraced potential regime change in Iran and declared that "tremendous power" will soon be in the Middle East, as the Pentagon sent a second aircraft carrier to the region. Trump's military moves and tough talk comes even as Washington and Tehran seek to revive diplomacy over Tehran's long-running nuclear dispute with the West. A source briefed on the matter told Reuters that US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner will hold negotiations with Iran on Tuesday in Geneva, with representatives from Oman acting as mediators. The source said Witkoff and Kushner will also meet officials from Russia and Ukraine on Tuesday in Geneva in the US drive to bring an end to the war in Ukraine. Asked if he wanted regime change in Iran, Trump responded that it "seems like that would be the best thing that could happen". He declined to share who he wanted to take over Iran, but said "there are people". "For 47 years, they've been talking and talking and talking," Trump said after a military event at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. "In the meantime, we've lost a lot of lives while they talk. Legs blown off, arms blown off, faces blown off. We've been going on for a long time." Washington wants nuclear talks with Iran to also cover the country's ballistic missiles, support for armed groups around the region and the treatment of the Iranian people. Iran has said it is prepared to discuss curbs on its nuclear programme in exchange for lifting sanctions, but has ruled out linking the issue to missiles. Read moreMissiles, uranium, stockpiles: Thorny issues on the Iran talks table Trump has threatened strikes on Iran if no agreement is reached, while Tehran has vowed to retaliate, stoking fears of a wider war as the US amasses forces in the Middle East. The US targeted Iran's nuclear facilities in strikes last year. When asked what was left to be targeted at the nuclear sites, Trump said the "dust". He added: "If we do it, that would be the least of the mission, but we probably grab whatever is left." Long deployments US officials described the complex process of moving military assets. The carrier Gerald R. Ford will join the carrier Abraham Lincoln, several guided-missile destroyers, fighter jets and surveillance aircraft that have been moved to the Middle East in recent weeks. The Gerald R. Ford, the United States' newest and the world's largest carrier, has been operating in the Caribbean with its escort ships and took part in operations in Venezuela earlier this year. Asked earlier on Friday why a second aircraft carrier was headed to the Middle East, Trump said: "In case we don't make a deal, we'll need it ... if we need it, we'll have it ready." One of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the carrier would take at least a week to reach the Middle East. Read moreMilitary pressure 'does not scare' Iran, FM says after US envoys visit aircraft carrier The United States most recently had two aircraft carriers in the area last year, when it carried out strikes against Iranian nuclear sites in June. With only 11 aircraft carriers in the US military's arsenal, they are a scarce resource and their schedules are usually set well in advance. In a statement, US Southern Command, which oversees US military operations in Latin America, said it would continue to stay focused on countering "illicit activities and malign actors in the Western Hemisphere". The Ford has essentially been at sea since June 2025. It was supposed to be operating in Europe before it was abruptly moved to the Caribbean in November. While deployments for carriers usually last nine months, it is not uncommon for them to be extended during periods of increased US military activity. Navy officials have long warned that long deployments at sea can damage morale on ships. Officials said the administration had looked at sending a separate carrier, the Bush, to the Middle East, but it was undergoing certification and would take over a month to reach the Middle East. The Ford, which has a nuclear reactor on board, can hold more than 75 military aircraft, including fighter aircraft like the F-18 Super Hornet jet and the E-2 Hawkeye, which can act as an early warning system. The Ford also has sophisticated radar that can help control air traffic and navigation. The supporting ships, such as the Ticonderoga-class guided missile cruiser Normandy, Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers Thomas Hudner, Ramage, Carney, and Roosevelt, include surface-to-air, surface-to-surface and anti-submarine warfare capabilities. (FRANCE 24 with Reuters)


Share this story

Read Original at France 24

Related Articles

jpost.com1 day ago
Reza Pahlavi dynasty influence persists in Iran amid revolts

Published: 20260220T194500Z

France 242 days ago
Iran-US tensions mount as carrier nears Mideast

Iran's atomic energy chief says no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action. It comes after the second round of Oman-mediated talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva on Tuesday. White House spokesperson Karoline Leavitt said the president was still hoping for a diplomatic solution with Tehran, but after sending the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and escort battleships to the Gulf in January, there are reports that a second carrier is on its way to Middle East Waters. Catherine Viette has more.

israelnationalnews.com5 days ago
Ohad Tal : Crown Prince Pahlavi signals hope for Iran , and Israel

Published: 20260216T194500Z

thehitavada.com5 days ago
Stand with Iranians : Exiled Crown Prince to world

Published: 20260216T143000Z

arabherald.com6 days ago
Time to end Islamic Republic : Exiled prince Reza Pahlavi urges Trump to help Iranians bury regime

Published: 20260215T203000Z

news.webindia123.com6 days ago
Time to end Islamic Republic : Exiled prince Reza Pahlavi urges Trump to help Iranians bury regime

Published: 20260215T170000Z