NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TariffTrumpFebruaryNewsTradeAnnouncePricesStrikesMajorCourtLaunchDigestSundayTimelineIranTargetsSafetyGlobalMarketTechChinaMilitaryJapanHospital
TariffTrumpFebruaryNewsTradeAnnouncePricesStrikesMajorCourtLaunchDigestSundayTimelineIranTargetsSafetyGlobalMarketTechChinaMilitaryJapanHospital
All Articles
Trump says Gaza war ‘is over’, but analysts warn fighting could resume within weeks
South China Morning Post
Published 2 days ago

Trump says Gaza war ‘is over’, but analysts warn fighting could resume within weeks

South China Morning Post · Feb 20, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

US President Donald Trump declared the war in Gaza “over” at his inaugural “Board of Peace” meeting on Thursday, even as regional analysts warned that Israeli military operations could resume within weeks. At the gathering in Washington, attended by senior officials from more than 20 countries, promises of reconstruction and a “bright future” for Gaza were coupled with blunt US warnings that the alternative to disarmament would be a return to war. Outside the meeting, Israeli officials...

Full Article

US President Donald Trump declared the war in Gaza “over” at his inaugural “Board of Peace” meeting on Thursday, even as regional analysts warned that Israeli military operations could resume within weeks.At the gathering in Washington, attended by senior officials from more than 20 countries, promises of reconstruction and a “bright future” for Gaza were coupled with blunt US warnings that the alternative to disarmament would be a return to war.Outside the meeting, Israeli officials reinforced that message, setting a 60-day deadline for Hamas to disarm and insisting that rebuilding could not begin before demilitarisation – conditions observers said could put Gaza back on a path to renewed conflict.Trump told the board he believed Hamas would “give up their weapons”.“If they don’t, it’ll be, you know, they’ll be harshly met,” he added, while also saying the group deserved “credit” for locating and returning the bodies of Israeli captives in Gaza.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio warned there was no alternative to Trump’s plan for Gaza.“There is no plan B for Gaza. Plan B is going back to war,” Rubio told the meeting. “Plan A, the only path forward, is one that rebuilds Gaza in a way of enduring and sustainable peace where no one has to worry about returning to conflict, human suffering and destruction.”


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
5 dogs found poisoned to death in Hong Kong’s New Territories in single week

A dog suspected to have been poisoned was found dead in Hong Kong’s New Territories on Sunday, the fifth such case in the past week, according to police. The force on Sunday said that between February 16 and Saturday, it had received four reports involving the discovery of five dead dogs suspected to have been poisoned in an open space on Liu Pok Road in Lok Ma Chau. The latest case had been classified as “cruelty to animals” following a preliminary investigation, but no arrests have been made...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong eyes booking system, fees after campers overrun hotspots

Hong Kong authorities are looking at implementing a booking system and charging fees for camping hotspots as part of a review of management strategies in response to public concerns about overcrowded beaches and litter during the Lunar New Year holiday. The Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) posted its plan on its Facebook page on Sunday after campers and hikers called for stronger public education, law enforcement and limits on visitor numbers at popular sites. At Ham...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
US Secret Service kills armed man entering Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

The US Secret Service announced on Sunday that an armed man was shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s resort in Palm Beach, Florida. Although Trump often spends weekends at his resort, he was at the White House during this incident. First lady Melania Trump was also with the president. The name of the person who was shot has not been released. According to the Secret Service, he was “observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Hungary spoils EU attempt at Russia sanctions package over oil flows

Hungary threatened to block a new package of European Union sanctions against Russia and to stall efforts to help Ukraine until Russian oil deliveries to Hungary resume. The EU’s foreign ministers are set to meet in Brussels on Monday to discuss the bloc’s 20th round of sanctions against Moscow, a measure they hope will be approved in time to coincide with the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on Tuesday. In a video posted to social media on Sunday, Hungarian Foreign Minister...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
China’s Type 095 nuclear submarine spotted for first time in new satellite images

China has launched its first next-generation Type 095 nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN), according to satellite imagery analysed by defence experts. It marks a significant leap as Beijing ramps up the underwater arms race to challenge US naval dominance in technology and production. Images captured between February 9 and 12 showed the vessel being fitted out at the Bohai Shipyard in Huludao, Liaoning province, according to Janes and Naval News. Defence analysts said the pictures revealed a...

South China Morning Postabout 5 hours ago
More advanced maths students needed for science, tech sectors: Hong Kong committee head

Hong Kong must more than double the number of secondary school pupils studying advanced maths to ensure a sufficient pipeline of students pursuing science and technology courses at university and careers in those sectors, according to the head of a curriculum review. The government plans to review the admission score calculations for some of the universities’ science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) programmes, as well as revamp the combination of related elective subjects...