
DW News · Feb 19, 2026 · Collected from RSS
"Board of Peace" members have vowed to provide billions for Gaza's reconstruction, with some also sending troops. US President Donald Trump also pledged $10 billion, but did not say what for.
US President Donald Trump launched the inaugural meeting of his "Board of Peace" on Thursday, with representatives from over 40 countries and observers from a dozen others present. Trump said that $7 billion (just under €6 billion) had been pledged by nine members of the organization for a Gaza relief package. That amounts to just 10% of the $70 billion needed to rebuild after the devastation of two years of war. The US president also pledged $10 billion, but without saying where that money would go. Who has pledged money to the Board of Peace? Trump said Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, UAE, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait were the countries offering to fund the Board of Peace relief package for Gaza. "Every dollar spent is an investment in stability and the hope of new and harmonious [region]," the US president said. "The Board of Peace is showing how a better future can be built, starting right here in this room," he added. Gaza's future: From rubble to riches?To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Trump also used his platform to attack domestic opponents and praise his own endorsements of foreign leaders in elections. Beyond pledges for financing, the following countries also said they would send troops to Gaza to be part of a stabilization force: Indonesia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.What is Trump's 'Board of Peace'? The so-called "Board of Peace" came out of a ceasefire deal negotiated between Israel and Hamas in Gaza to end two years of war. However, that deal has not brought an end to the deadly violence, with more than 600 Palestinians killed since the ceasefire began, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. The "Board of Peace" has since set its eyes on more than just Gaza, but Trump's opaque comments have led to criticisms that he is trying to overshadow the UN, from which he has also withdrawn much US funding. Is the Board of Peace Trump’s private UN?To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video However, the organization functions very differently from the UN. Members are obliged to pay $1 billion to extend their membership beyond the first two years and Trump has appointed himself chair, meaning he will remain in control even after leaving office. Besides obvious Trump allies such as leaders from Israel, Hungary and Argentina, there are also countries such as Pakistan seeking favor with the White House who have signed up to the board. Germany, Italy, Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and several others sent observers rather than representatives. Meanwhile, France has rejected any participation and criticized the EU for sending officials. Edited by: Dmytro Hubenko