NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
All Articles
Tehran threatens US and closes Hormuz for drills amid nuclear talks
Euronews
Clustered Story
Published 5 days ago

Tehran threatens US and closes Hormuz for drills amid nuclear talks

Euronews · Feb 17, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Iran has temporarily closed the Strait of Hormuz for live-fire drills on Tuesday as tensions with the US escalate, even as new nuclear talks in Geneva seek to avert open conflict.

Full Article

Iran stepped up its warnings to the US over its military presence in the region, as Tehran said it will close the Strait of Hormuz for several hours for live military exercises. Tehran announced that the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) started a drill early Monday morning in the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman, all crucial international shipping routes. It marked the second time in recent weeks that Iran has held a live-fire drill in the Strait of Hormuz. However, it is the first time Iran has closed the critical maritime corridor since the US threatened Tehran with military action. US President Donald Trump has repeatedly said he was considering an intervention in response to Iran's deadly crackdown on nationwide protests last month, as well as to pressure Iran into curbing its nuclear programme, which Washington claims is aiming to produce a nuclear weapon. Last week, the US deployed its most advanced aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R Ford, to the Middle East to join another carrier already in the region, further pressuring Tehran to negotiate. Iran, which claims its programme solely has a civilian purpose, in return said it would respond to the US with an attack on its own. “Of course a warship is a dangerous apparatus, but more dangerous than the warship is the weapon that can sink the warship into the depths of the sea,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said, according to Iranian state-run TV. Second round of talks over Meanwhile, Washington and Tehran concluded a second round of talks on Iran's nuclear programme in Geneva on Tuesday. Iranian state TV had previously reported that the indirect talks would focus on Iran's nuclear programme, not on its domestic politics or the bloody crackdown on protesters earlier this year. Protests began on 28 December 2025, sparked by a currency collapse and persistent hyperinflation, but quickly turned into nationwide anti-regime demonstrations, prompting Tehran's violent crackdown and a complete information blockade. Human rights organisations and insiders in Iran have reported that anywhere from 6,000 to 30,000 are feared killed, although precise casualty figures remain difficult. Authorities have also detained tens of thousands across the country. In mid-January, the US president urged Iranians to keep protesting, stating "help is on the way". However, Trump has held off on an intervention following a restart in US-Iran talks and what Washington said was a pledge by Tehran to halt the crackdown, including any executions of arrested demonstrators. The first round of indirect talks was held in Oman earlier this month. Speaking to reporters Monday night aboard Air Force One en route to Washington, Trump said he planned to be involved in Tuesday's talks, at least indirectly. “I think they want to make a deal. I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal," he said. On Monday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is leading Iran's side in the talks, met with the head of the UN nuclear watchdog agency in Geneva. “I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” Araghchi wrote on X. “What is not on the table: submission before threats.”


Share this story

Read Original at Euronews

Related Articles

Al Jazeeraabout 6 hours ago
Iran-US tensions: What would blocking Strait of Hormuz mean for oil, LNG?

More than $500bn in oil and gas flows through waterway annually, leaving the global economy exposed to disruptions.

livemint.com1 day ago
Iran - US tensions : How Tehran may be preparing for larger conflict fortification , naval drills , Shamkhani appointment

Published: 20260221T031500Z

oilprice.com2 days ago
Experts Sees Even Odds of Peace or Conflict With Iran

Published: 20260220T151500Z

gazeta.ua2 days ago
Иран и США – о чем предупредил представитель Тегерана секретаря ООН

Published: 20260220T123000Z

South China Morning Post2 days ago
What would blocking the Strait of Hormuz mean for global oil and LNG shipments?

Iran partially and temporarily closed the strategic Strait of Hormuz during a military drill on Tuesday, thrusting the vital shipping route under the global spotlight once again. The hours-long suspension was the first time Tehran had restricted traffic through the strait since US President Donald Trump’s warning last month that Washington could take military action over Iran’s nuclear programme, with tensions still high between the two sides despite recent bilateral talks in Geneva. Here, we...

Bloomberg2 days ago
Surging Oil Tanker Rates Tipped to Go Even Higher on Iran Risk

The cost to hire oil supertankers could be headed for the highest levels this decade on the growing risk of a major US attack on Iran, and as ownership of the vessels becomes more concentrated.