NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
MilitaryTrumpStrikesMajorFebruaryIranAnnouncesMarketTariffsAdditionalIranianNewsDigestSundayTimelineUkraineNuclearTargetingGamePrivateEnergyTradeYearsHumanoid
MilitaryTrumpStrikesMajorFebruaryIranAnnouncesMarketTariffsAdditionalIranianNewsDigestSundayTimelineUkraineNuclearTargetingGamePrivateEnergyTradeYearsHumanoid
All Articles
Syria moves out last residents of ISIL-linked desert camp
Al Jazeera
Published about 2 hours ago

Syria moves out last residents of ISIL-linked desert camp

Al Jazeera · Feb 22, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Official Fadi al-Qassem says all residents have left al-Hol camp, which long housed relatives of alleged ISIL members.

Full Article

Official Fadi al-Qassem says all residents have left al-Hol camp, which long housed relatives of alleged ISIL (ISIS) members.By AFP and APPublished On 22 Feb 2026Syrian authorities say they have fully evacuated and shut down a remote camp that once kept thousands of relatives of alleged members of the armed group ISIL (ISIS).The last residents were sent out in a convoy Sunday morning, according to Fadi al-Qassem, the Syrian government official overseeing the camp.Recommended Stories list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4US is withdrawing all 1,000 troops from Syria: WSJ reportlist 2 of 4Several assassination attempts targeted Syria’s al-Sharaa, ministers: UNlist 3 of 4US says over 5,700 suspected ISIL detainees relocated from Syria to Iraqlist 4 of 4What will it take for Syrians to return to Aleppo after years of war?end of list“All Syrian and non-Syrian families were relocated,” al-Qassem told Agence France-Presse.Al-Hol, located in a desert region of the northeastern Hasakah province, had long kept huge numbers of relatives of suspected ISIL fighters.At its peak in 2019, the camp held some 73,000 people. Last month, there were about 24,000 residents, mostly Syrians but also Iraqis and more than 6,000 other foreigners of around 40 nationalities.While the camp’s residents were not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, they had been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility for years.Last month, Syria’s government took control of the camp from Kurdish authorities, as Damascus extended its reach across northeastern Syria.Since then, thousands of its detainees, including family members of suspected ISIL members, have left for unknown destinations. Hundreds have been sent to the Akhtarin camp in Aleppo province, while others have been repatriated to Iraq.The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a war monitor based in the United Kingdom, reported an unspecified number of residents “left the camp individually, without waiting for the organised convoys”. Sources on the ground told Al Jazeera many Syrian nationals left al-Hol for their hometowns, while many of the foreigners travelled west to government strongholds of Idlib or Aleppo governorates.Al-Qassem said residents who have been relocated are children and women who will “need support for their reintegration”.Women and children gather at al-Hol camp in Hasakah, Syria, in January [Khalil Ashawi/Reuters]The future of the smaller Roj camp in northeastern Syria, which also houses relatives of alleged ISIL members but remains under the control of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), remains to be seen.Most of its inhabitants are foreigners whose home countries have largely refused to receive them.Syrian authorities turned back buses carrying 34 Australian women and children on February 16 after they left the Roj camp, headed toward Damascus with plans to travel on to Australia. Australian authorities later said they would not repatriate the families.“We have no sympathy, frankly, for people who travelled overseas in order to participate in what was an attempt to establish a caliphate to undermine and destroy our way of life,” said Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, explaining his country’s stance.While it is “unfortunate” that children have been affected, Australia is “not providing any support”, Albanese added.


Share this story

Read Original at Al Jazeera

Related Articles

Al Jazeeraabout 2 hours ago
The Carlson-Huckabee interview may be the wake-up call Americans needed

The interview brought the 'Israel first vs America first' debate to heart of the American right.

Al Jazeeraabout 2 hours ago
The AI alarm cycle: Lots of talk, little action

What is the point of AI alarmism if the people warning the world aren't changing course?

Al Jazeeraabout 3 hours ago
Eze hurts Tottenham again to reignite Arsenal’s title hopes with 4-1 win

Gyokeres and Eze both score braces as Arsenal win North London derby to move five points clear at top of the table.

Al Jazeeraabout 4 hours ago
Burnt vehicles line highway near Mexican World Cup stadium

Burnt out buses and trucks lined the highway to Guadalajara, Mexico’s Estadio Akron.

Al Jazeeraabout 4 hours ago
Netanyahu says Israel will forge regional alliance to rival ‘radical axes’

Israeli PM says his country is working to counter what he called 'radical Shia axis' and 'emerging radical Sunni axis'.

Al Jazeeraabout 4 hours ago
Greenland rejects Trump’s offer to send US hospital ship to Arctic island

US President Donald Trump says a 'great hospital boat' is going to Greenland as he mocks its healthcare system.