NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeStrikesAnnounceLaunchCourtPricesMajorFebruaryNewsDigestSundayTimelineChinaSafetyGlobalMarketCrisisOilGoldUkraineSupremeTech
TrumpTariffTradeStrikesAnnounceLaunchCourtPricesMajorFebruaryNewsDigestSundayTimelineChinaSafetyGlobalMarketCrisisOilGoldUkraineSupremeTech
All Articles
BBC World
Published 6 days ago

Sydney police plead for return of man, 85, kidnapped by mistake

BBC World · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Police say they're 'a million percent confident' Chris Baghsarian was not the intended target.

Full Article

4 hours agoHelen LivingstoneSuppliedPolice say Chris Baghsarian, 85, was kidnapped from his home in the Sydney suburb of North Ryde by mistake.Sydney police have appealed for the return of an 85-year-old whom they believe was kidnapped by mistake.Chris Baghsarian, who lived alone, was taken from his house in the suburb of North Ryde by at least three attackers early on Friday morning, and bundled into a dark-coloured SUV. "They were intending to take somebody, but have taken the wrong person," Det Acting Supt Andrew Marks told reporters on Monday, adding that no ransom note had been received."The family are in distress. All they want is their father to be returned, their grandfather to be returned," he said, appealing for people to report any unusual activity seen around properties known to be empty.The appeal came as the Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) reported that videos and images of a severely injured Baghsarian in an unknown location were circulating in Sydney's underworld."It's not ideal that those images are out there," Marks said, noting that Baghsarian needed daily medication and that "every hour is very important"."I have seen the videos," he add. "They are distressing to see an 85-year-old man in that condition."He said that in a "normal" kidnapping case, "we would be aware of a ransom". "But because the family are not involved in this type of crime, and they're not involved in that world, they haven't received a ransom." Cases of mistaken identity have become increasingly common in Sydney's underworld, the SMH reported, as large organised crime networks increasingly subcontract crimes.Last year a 23-year-old plumber was shot dead in his driveway in Condell Park in what police believe was also a case of mistaken identity.He was "a million per cent confident they have the wrong person," Marks said but would not elaborate on who police thought the intended target was."The fact that these offenders – these kidnappers – have got it so wrong is concerning."CCTV footage published by local media showed an SUV driving up outside Baghsarian's home on Friday. Two hooded figures then approach the house before reappearing with someone who is struggling in their arms and then loaded into the SUV.A burnt out vehicle matching the description of the getaway car was found in the nearby suburb of South Turramurra shortly afterwards.Police said Baghsarian was wearing grey pajamas and a red and blue flannelette shirt when he was kidnapped.New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has also pleaded for Baghsarian's safe return."Let police know where he's currently located or alternatively drop Mr Baghsarian off at a shopping centre or an emergency department or even a nursing home," he appealed to the kidnappers. "We urge them to do that as soon as possible."


Share this story

Read Original at BBC World

Related Articles

BBC Worldabout 2 hours ago
Minnesota Vikings receiver Moore dies aged 25

The Minnesota Vikings have paid tribute to Rondale Moore after the 25-year-old's death.

BBC Worldabout 2 hours ago
Explosions kill police officer and injure 25 in western Ukraine

Twenty-five people were injured by explosions overnight in what officials are calling a terror attack.

BBC Worldabout 3 hours ago
US ambassador's Israel comments condemned by Arab and Muslim nations

Mike Huckabee suggested Israel would be justified in taking much of the Middle East on Biblical grounds.

BBC Worldabout 6 hours ago
Pakistan launches strikes on Afghanistan, with Taliban saying dozens killed

Pakistan says the strikes were retaliation for recent suicide bombings in the country.

BBC Worldabout 9 hours ago
More than 1,500 Venezuelan political prisoners apply for amnesty

The announcement by the head of Venezuela's National Assembly comes amid US pressure following the capture of ex-President Nicolás Maduro.

BBC Worldabout 12 hours ago
Final missing Lake Tahoe skier found dead 5 days after avalanche

Authorities released the names of the six women and three guides who died in the worst avalanche in state history.