
oberonreview.com.au · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from GDELT
Published: 20260216T044500Z
Parkes councillors will decide whether to object to a controversial energy-from-waste incinerator, as community pressure on the project ramps up.Subscribe now for unlimited access. or signup to continue readingAll articles from our websiteThe digital version of Today's PaperAll other in your areaAt Tuesday's ordinary general meeting of Parkes Shire Council, mayor Neil Westcott will ask councillors to unanimously support a motion to "formally object" to the Parkes Energy Recovery, a $1.5 billion project slated to be part of the Parkes Special Activation Precinct. Mayor calls on councillors for support as decision on controversial project looms"On March 30 last year, following the state government launch of the proponent to build an energy-from waste facility at the Parkes [Special Activation Precinct], I wrote an open letter to the people of the Parkes Shire," Cr Westcott wrote in his mayoral minute. "In that letter I spoke of our commitment as a council, and myself personally, to place safety of the environment and human health above all else as we sought to understand the risks and opportunity this development represented."Almost 11 months on from that commitment, and in the absence of state government assurances on health that is so important for community confidence, I ask council to unanimously support a motion to formally object to this proposal to build an energy-from-waste facility in our shire."The motion formally objects to the proposed energy-from-waste facility, which enables the matter to be referred to the Independent Planning Commission for assessment under the established statutory process, and ensures that the community's concerns are formally represented in the absence of comprehensive government-supported information.Parkes mayor Neil Westcott. Picture Parkes Shire CouncilEven if Parkes councillors vote to object the energy-from-waste project, it doesn't mean it won't go ahead, as the decision will ultimately end up with the Independent Planning Commission.Tuesday's vote will be held at the Parkes Shire Council chambers on Cecile Street at 3pm.Donato asks for project to moveThe motion at Parkes council will come after Orange MP Phil Donato asked the NSW Government to consider an alternative location for the energy-from-waste incinerator during parliamentary question time on Thursday, February 12. He suggested, in his question to the Minister for Customer Services and Digital Government, Emergency Services, and Youth Justice, Jihad Dib, who was representing the Minister for Climate Change, Penny Sharpe, that the incinerator be moved closer to the source of the waste, which is "predominantly metropolitan generated". Mr Dib said the government's priority is "protecting community health, while delivering modern waste solutions". Orange MP Phil Donato. Picture supplied"We need to ensure residual waste, the material that can't be recycled, has an appropriate disposal pathway," he said. "Without action, greater Sydney and many regional areas are set to run out of landfill space within four years. "Many regional landfills will approach capacity, as waste volumes grow. If this isn't addressed, this will have a significant knock-on impacts across the economy."Mr Dib said modern energy-for-waste facilities operate safely in major cities including Paris and Tokyo, with use modern technology to help "minimise pollutants". He said the Parkes Special Activation Precinct was chosen as a site for the project due to strategic planning principles, being close to existing infrastructure, connected to road and rail, and supporting "our waste, not zero and regional growth strategies".Mr Dib did stress that a "designation as a precinct is not approval".Artists impression of the Parkes Energy Recovery facility. Picture from Parkes Energy Recovery"Any proposal at Parkes, or anywhere in NSW, must rigorously demonstrate that risks to human health, including drinking water, rainwater harvesting, and soil quality, are low and acceptable and must pass the same string of planning and EPA processes," he said. Ed Nicholas, the director of the Parkes Energy Recovery facility, told ACM previously that the project would have to meet the "strictest environmental and emissions standards of anywhere in the world"."Parkes Energy Recovery has commenced its Environmental Impact Statement process, which includes undertaking a wide range of site-specific technical studies, including human health, air quality, ground and rainwater assessments, visual amenity, noise, dust, odour and more," he said."If these assessments are accepted and the facility is built, it will be subject to ongoing monitoring and assessment by the EPA for the duration of its life."Mr Nicholas said European health authorities have reported no evidence of negative health impacts from modern facilities, which have been used throughout the continent for decades.