NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeLaunchAnnouncePricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaMarketCourtNewsDigestSundayTimelineHongKongServiceMilitarySafetyGlobalOilMan
TrumpTariffTradeLaunchAnnouncePricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaMarketCourtNewsDigestSundayTimelineHongKongServiceMilitarySafetyGlobalOilMan
All Articles
North Korean POWs stuck in Ukraine as Seoul hesitates
DW News
Published 4 days ago

North Korean POWs stuck in Ukraine as Seoul hesitates

DW News · Feb 18, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Two North Korean soldiers in Ukraine have expressed desire to move to South Korea rather than facing consequences for letting themselves be captured in the North. The regime might choose to punish their families instead.

Full Article

It's been over a year since Ukrainian forces captured two North Korean soldiers in Russia's Kursk, but the fate of the two men still hangs in the balance as activists accuse the South Korean government of dragging its feet. The two have asked to relocate to South Korea. In the North, they could face punishment for letting themselves be taken alive. "I won't survive [going back]. Everyone else blew themselves up. I failed," one of the soldiers told South Korean newspaper Hankook Ilbo. Kim hails troops returning from RussiaTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video The UN has also weighed in on the issue, with its special rapporteur on the North's human rights record stating earlier this month that Ukraine should follow international protocol and not send them to a place where they face being tortured. "I would be grateful of they would take me. If they don't there is nothing I can do," a soldier was quoted as saying by the newspaper. POWs seen likely seen as traitors in North Korea Activists and North Korean defectors told DW that North Korean military doctrine outright prohibits surrender for its soldiers. "The regime told its soldiers to kill themselves if it appeared they were going to be captured in Ukraine," said Kim Eujin, who fled the North as a teenager in the 1990s. "These two men did not follow those orders and they did not die, even if they tried." "We do not know how the regime will respond to soldiers who did not follow order to kill themselves rather than be captured because it has never happened before," she told DW. "But my guess is that they will consider them to be traitors," she said. "And it will not only be them; their families will also be punished." Retribution against defectors could last generations In interviews, the men said they did not fear combat in Ukraine, but knew that capture could bring hardship for their families due to the Pyongyang doctrine drummed into them: "A defector brings punishment to three generations." North Korean defector: 'We are not traitors'To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video "Historically, during and after the Korean War, returning POWs were reportedly subjected to forced labor and classified as hostile elements," said Peter Oh from the US-based Free Korean Association, which aims to help North Korean refugees in the US. "These detainees likely fear similar consequences if they return," Oh said. "Repercussions against their families are possible," Oh added. "But the North Korean government may avoid extreme measures to prevent international scrutiny."Is South Korea's Lee afraid of angering Pyongyang? Under Article 3 of the South Korean constitution, North Koreans are still considered citizens of the South and are permitted to live in the South. However, over a year since the two soldiers were captured, Seoul appears less than eager to accept the North Korean POWs. "The delay is due to the complex international legal and diplomatic entanglements involving Ukraine, Russia, North Korea and South Korea," Oh said. "Although the South Korean government has expressed general interest, it has not taken direct action, likely due to the sensitive geopolitical implications." At the moment, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung seems eager to improve ties with Pyongyang. South Korea's constitution also includes Article 4 which focuses on "peaceful relations with the North," Oh added. "Our position is that regardless of constitutional interpretation, the soldiers have the right to seek asylum in South Korea or a third country based on their free will," Oh said. 'I do not think they are trying hard enough' Discussions between Seoul and Kyiv over the fate of the soldiers appear to have stalled. On February 9, the Korea Institute for National Unification released a report that "direct communication between the leaders of South Korea and Ukraine is essential" to break the deadlock. Without some sort of agreement, Ukraine may be obliged to hand the men over to Russia. North Korea continues to back Russia's war against UkraineTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video North Korea has yet to comment publicly on the two POWs in Ukraine, although it is possible that talks have taken place behind the scenes. Kim Eujin said there was nothing stopping Ukraine from releasing the men, and also "nothing in international law" to prevent them from traveling to South Korea. "They keep saying that it's a 'complicated issue,' but I do not think they are trying hard enough," she said of the South Korean government. "President Lee, the Unification Ministry and the Foreign Ministry all seem to care more about not upsetting Kim Jong Un than bringing these men to South Korea." "If it was just about their human rights, then they would already have arrived here. It is almost as if the government here is trying to find reasons for them not to come." Edited by: Darko Janjevic


Share this story

Read Original at DW News

Related Articles

DW Newsabout 2 hours ago
Secret Service shoots dead man at Trump's Mar-a-Lago

Authorities said the man breached a secure perimeter around the president's private residence and was carrying a shotgun and a fuel can.

DW Newsabout 2 hours ago
KLA veteran: 'Life is hard in Kosovo but we are free.'

Gezim Haxhimusa fought in the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA). This month, he celebrated independence day by protesting against a trial in The Hague. Four KLA leaders are in the dock for war crimes.

DW Newsabout 4 hours ago
Russia, Ukraine report overnight strikes on energy infrastructure

The attacks come as Ukraine prepares to mark four years since the start of the war on February 24.

DW Newsabout 5 hours ago
A Ukrainian soldier’s story: Fading hope on the front line after four years of fighting

Former DW correspondent Kostiantyn Honcharov joined the Ukrainian army in 2022. He describes the grim front-line situation after four years of fighting.

DW Newsabout 5 hours ago
Ukraine war: Exhausted troops not holding out hope for peace

Former DW correspondent Kostiantyn Honcharov joined the Ukrainian army in 2022. He describes the grim front-line situation after four years of fighting.

DW Newsabout 5 hours ago
Arab, Muslim nations rebuke US envoy's Israel land claim

Mike Huckabee, the US ambassador to Israel, suggested that Israel holds a biblical entitlement to a large portion of the Middle East.