NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryPhotosYourCarLotSayCourtDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketTechChina
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryPhotosYourCarLotSayCourtDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketTechChina
All Articles
BBC World
Clustered Story
Published 8 days ago

Motorbike raids on villages kill at least 30 in Nigeria

BBC World · Feb 15, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Assailants shot dead or cut the throats of their victims, lit homes on fire and abducted multiple people in Niger state, Nigeria.

Full Article

Motorbike raids on villages kill at least 30 in Nigeria36 minutes agoHarry SekulichGetty ImagesLast month armed bandits on motorcycles attacked villages in Kwara state, south of the most recent raidsGunmen on motorcycles have killed dozens of people in dawn raids across three villages in north-western Nigeria.Armed men shot dead or cut the throats of their victims, lit homes on fire and abducted an "undetermined" number of people in Niger state, according to local reports seen by the AFP news agency.The attacks on Saturday morning occurred near the site of a suspected jihadist massacre earlier this month, in which more than 100 people were killed in a similar style of attack.Armed criminal gangs, known as bandits, have carried out attacks and kidnappings in Nigeria for years, but reports in western and central regions have risen sharply recently.Bandits swooped on the village of Tunga-Makeri early in the morning.Wasiu Abiodun, Niger State police spokesperson, told AFP six people in Tunga-Makeri were killed."Some houses were also set ablaze, and a yet-to-be ascertained number of persons were abducted," Abiodun said.Most of those killed were in nearby Konkoso, the second village that was attacked.Almost all of the homes were burned and four women were abducted, witnesses told AFP.After attacking Konkoso the bandits rode to Pissa, set a police station alight and killed one person, according to witness.Reuters said the death toll across the three villages was about 32, while AFP reported at least 46 killed. Details of other possible attacks in nearby villages remained unclear and reports have noted the toll could rise.A security report cited by AFP said bandits came on "41 motorcycles, each carrying two or three men".Nigeria's leaders are under pressure to curb violence, with jihadist groups active in the north-west and separatist insurgents based in the country's south-east.The US launched Christmas Day strikes targeting Islamist militants in Nigeria's northern Sokoto state and President Donald Trump warned of further attacks "if they continue to kill Christians". Many of the victims of jihadist violence are Muslim, according to organisations monitoring political violence in Nigeria.


Share this story

Read Original at BBC World

Related Articles

Al Jazeera1 day ago
Gunmen on motorcycles kill at least 50 in northwest Nigeria: Report

Nigerian lawmaker reports ‘at least 50 people dead’ after attack as list of missing is still being compiled.

DW News7 days ago
Nigeria: Dozens killed in attacks on 3 villages

A group of gunmen attacked three villages in Nigeria in a dawn raid. At least 30 people have died and several are reportedly missing.

Al Jazeera8 days ago
Gunmen kill at least 32 people in northern Nigeria, residents say

Witnesses say the motorcycle riding gunmen attacked three communities in northern Nigeria, killing and abducting dozens.

BBC Worldabout 3 hours ago
Minnesota Vikings receiver Moore dies aged 25

The Minnesota Vikings have paid tribute to Rondale Moore after the 25-year-old's death.

BBC Worldabout 4 hours ago
Explosions kill police officer and injure 25 in western Ukraine

Twenty-five people were injured by explosions overnight in what officials are calling a terror attack.

BBC Worldabout 4 hours ago
US ambassador's Israel comments condemned by Arab and Muslim nations

Mike Huckabee suggested Israel would be justified in taking much of the Middle East on Biblical grounds.