NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
All Articles
Malaysia says no to e-waste dumping but can its ban stop a global trade?
South China Morning Post
Published 7 days ago

Malaysia says no to e-waste dumping but can its ban stop a global trade?

South China Morning Post · Feb 15, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Malaysia has drawn a hard line against becoming a dumping ground for the world’s toxic scrap, but enforcing that pledge means sifting through millions of shipping containers each year – a daunting challenge shared by ports across Southeast Asia. Last week, Kuala Lumpur imposed an immediate ban on e-waste imports, reclassifying the material under an “absolute prohibition” and declaring the country would not be a “dumping ground” for the world’s waste, in an effort to curb a trade that often blurs...

Full Article

Malaysia has drawn a hard line against becoming a dumping ground for the world’s toxic scrap, but enforcing that pledge means sifting through millions of shipping containers each year – a daunting challenge shared by ports across Southeast Asia.Last week, Kuala Lumpur imposed an immediate ban on e-waste imports, reclassifying the material under an “absolute prohibition” and declaring the country would not be a “dumping ground” for the world’s waste, in an effort to curb a trade that often blurs legitimate recycling with illicit flows.In one of the first tests of that tougher stance, customs officers at Port Klang intercepted nearly 200 tonnes of electronic waste on Wednesday, in what officials described as a rare success against traffickers who frequently hid shipments behind tidy paperwork and recycling labels.Acting on a tip-off, customs officers found seven containers of e-waste – such as used printers, battered fax machines and ageing computer parts – and another carrying suspected aluminium dross, a hazardous industrial by-product banned for import under Malaysian law.The e-waste had been shipped from three US ports – New York, Los Angeles and Norfolk, Virginia – and were destined for illegal dumps or recycling, said Nik Ezanee Mohd Faisal of the Malaysian Border Control and Protection Agency.The containers have been placed under guard and are currently awaiting sign-off to send back to the United States.“With the volumes we handle, it is a challenge [to detect them],” Nik Ezanee, the commander of Port Klang customs, told This Week in Asia.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Malaysia summons anti-corruption chief in stock ownership probe

Malaysia’s anti-corruption chief Azam Baki was summoned by a special committee set up to probe his stock ownership to explain the matter on Thursday, as authorities respond to calls for him to be investigated. The committee is examining the compliance and regularity of Azam’s share ownership based on the initial report it received, Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar, chief secretary to the government, said in a statement on Sunday. It is still in the process of evaluating all evidence obtained and will call...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong jewellery sales sparkle amid 13% jump in mainland Chinese visitors

Hong Kong recorded a 13 per cent increase in visitors from mainland China during the Lunar New Year holiday against a year ago, with the influx boosting jewellery sales by 10 per cent during the period despite a sharp rise in gold prices. Industry representatives said on Sunday that overall business was better than last year, although the recovery remained uneven across sectors and was not always directly tied to the greater number of mainland visitors. Immigration figures showed mainland...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Pokemon cards worth HK$8,000 stolen in Hong Kong shop burglary

A man has reported the loss of Pokemon trading cards worth about HK$8,000 (US$1,023) after a burglary at a shop in Hong Kong – the second reported criminal case involving the collectors’ items in two months. Police said they received a report at about 2.50am on Sunday from a 25-year-old man that the 1,000 sq ft shop in Chung Mei Centre on Hing Yip Street, Kwun Tong, had been ransacked. He also found that more than 10 security cameras had been sprayed with red paint. An initial count indicated...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong fans were right to bet on lottery picks from K-pop star G Dragon

Some lucky Hong Kong fans of K-pop star G Dragon pocketed at least HK$320 (US$41) from the record HK$200 million Lunar New Year Mark Six draw after they chose lottery numbers he suggested. G Dragon fans took to social media to share news of their earnings after the winning numbers were announced on Saturday. During a fan meeting earlier this month in Seoul, the star was asked by a South Korean fan to name some lucky lottery numbers. After glancing at a countdown timer for the segment at the...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Russian barrage strikes Ukrainian infrastructure as war drags on

Russia fired scores of missiles and drones at targets across Ukraine on Sunday, crashing into energy and rail infrastructure and residential buildings, just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion. Journalists in Kyiv heard a series of blasts starting at around 4.00am, shortly after an air raid alert was issued, with the air force later widening the alert nationwide, citing the threat of missiles. “Moscow continues to invest in strikes more than in diplomacy,” Ukrainian...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Silent suffering: how a domestic helper’s Hong Kong dream became a nightmare

Sanju*, a foreign domestic helper of Nepalese ethnicity, never imagined her Hong Kong dream would turn into a nightmare. The 34-year-old arrived in Hong Kong in 2023, driven by a simple wish to work in the city of her dreams. But she said her first employer paid her 30 per cent below the statutory minimum wage, allowed her only two hours of sleep a day, and gave her just three rest days over six months, during which she was only paid two months’ salary. After six months, she was dismissed and...