DW News · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from RSS
Iranian FM Araghchi is in Geneva ahead of a new round of US-Iran nuclear talks. Since the US joined Israeli strikes on Iran last summer, the Islamic Republic has massively restricted IAEA inspections.
Iran's top diplomat met the director of the United Nations nuclear watchdog on Monday, as he arrived in Geneva a day ahead of the second round of US-Iran nuclear talks in the Swiss city. "Just completed in-depth technical discussions with Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in preparation for important negotiations scheduled for tomorrow in Geneva," International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Rafael Grossi said on X. What did Iran's top diplomat say about the IAEA meeting? Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said he would meet with Grossi "for deep technical discussions." "I am in Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal. What is not on the table: submission before threats," Araghchi said on X. Iran's relationship with the nuclear watchdog has been incredibly tense since Israeli and US strikes hit several of its nuclear facilities last summer. Since then, Iran has not granted the IAEA access to inspect the facilities, under the pretext that the bombed sites are unsafe for IAEA inspectors. The fate of Iran's stockpile of some 440 kilograms of highly enriched uranium also remains unknown.Nuclear talks with US resume Talks between Washington and Tehran over the latter's nuclear program have recently resumed, after previous talks collapsed when Israel launched strikes on Iran in June 2025, starting a 12-day war which also saw US strikes on three Iranian nuclear facilities. The US has been seeking to also address Iran's missile stockpile during the talks, which Israel is keen to include in any potential deal with Iran. So far, Tehran has expressed readiness to curb its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief. The Islamic Republic has, however, ruled out zero uranium enrichment and rejected any discussion of its missile stockpile. Western countries believe Iran is seeking to make a nuclear bomb, but Tehran insists its nuclear program is for civilian purposes only.US, Iran set to hold nuclear talks in OmanTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video The Tuesday round of talks will be mediated by Oman. Araghchi said he will be meeting Oman's Foreign Minister Badr Albusaidi on Monday ahead of the talks. They come after US President Donald Trump sent a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East late last week, as he continues to threaten to strike Iran. US sends largest aircraft carrier to Middle EastTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 videoTrump's threats intensified at the peak of anti-regime protests in Iran last month, which were violently suppressed, with thousands of protesters reported killed. Edited by: Srinivas Mazumdaru