NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryPhotosYourCarLotSayCourtDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketTechChina
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryPhotosYourCarLotSayCourtDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketTechChina
All Articles
Germany news: Merz open to social media ban for under-16s
DW News
Clustered Story
Published 4 days ago

Germany news: Merz open to social media ban for under-16s

DW News · Feb 18, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has said he would consider a ban on social media for under-16s. Meanwhile, Berlin's ambassador to Iran is summoned for a reprimand over "anti-Iranian activities" in Germany. DW has more.

Full Article

Published February 18, 2026last updated February 18, 2026German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has said he would consider a ban on social media for under-16s. Meanwhile, Berlin's ambassador to Iran is summoned for a reprimand over "anti-Iranian activities" in Germany. DW has more.https://p.dw.com/p/58xK6The German chancellor said it was important that children could learn and play in the real worldImage: dts-Agentur/picture allianceSkip next section What you need to knowWhat you need to know The German chancellor says some sort of ban on children using social media might be welcome Iran summons Berlin's ambassador over protests in Germany against the Tehran regime Here are the major headlines from Germany on Wednesday, February 18, 2026: Skip next section Merz questions Rubio applause at Munich conferenceFebruary 18, 2026Merz questions Rubio applause at Munich conferenceGerman Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he has been surprised by the standing ovation for US Secretary of State Marco Rubio at the Munich Security Conference last week. Merz told the podcast "Machtwechsel" on Tuesday, ahead of the CDU party congress, that he would have struggled to stand up even if he had been in the room. Last year, US Vice President JD Vance caused a stir at the conference with his sharp criticism of European allies. Merz said Rubio's speech had reflected the worldview of the current US administration "in friendlier packaging." Merz argued the reaction in the hall was driven by low expectations among participants. "The community was pleased that an American was standing at the front who still addressed them as friends. That alone triggered a certain emotion." For him personally, Merz said, this wouldn't have been enough. Before the speech, the chancellor said he had spoken at length with Rubio and discovered some common ground. "For example, he still considers NATO important," said Merz. https://p.dw.com/p/58xgQSkip next section Iran summons Germany's designated ambassador in protestFebruary 18, 2026Iran summons Germany's designated ambassador in protestIran has summoned Germany's designated ambassador in protest, citing what it called "anti-Iranian activities" in Germany. State media reported that Axel Dittmann was told of the Iranian government's objections during a meeting at the Foreign Ministry in Tehran. The broadcaster said the move was linked to what it described as "destructive" positions taken by German politicians. It was unclear when the meeting took place, and Germany's Foreign Office did not initially comment. The backdrop appears to be a large demonstration against Iran's leadership in Munich, where around 250,000 people gathered on Saturday. Several German politicians expressed solidarity with the protest movement, including Marie-Agnes Strack-Zimmermann of the FDP and CDU foreign policy lawmaker Armin Laschet. The rally was held on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference and was called for by Reza Pahlavi. Pahlavi, the exiled son of Iran's last shah, has emerged as a prominent opposition figure abroad. Iran's security forces cracked down violently on mass protests in early January. The activist network HRANA has reported that more than 7,000 people were killed. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has also sharply criticized Iran's leadership.Pahlavi joins Munich rally calling for Iran regime changeTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video https://p.dw.com/p/58xTTSkip next section Merz backs possible social media ban for childrenFebruary 18, 2026Merz backs possible social media ban for childrenGerman Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he supports raising the minimum age for platforms like Instagram and TikTok, warning that teenagers spending five hours or more a day on screens can face social and personality problems. Merz made the comments on the politics podcast "Machtwechsel" as a state branch of his conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) from Schleswig-Holstein submitted a proposal to set the minimum age at 16, paired with mandatory age verification. "If children today, at the age of 14, have up to five hours or more of screen time a day, if all socialization takes place only through this medium, then we shouldn't be surprised about personality deficits and problems in the social behavior of young people." Merz said he has "a lot of sympathy" for the idea, as well as a similar proposal from his party’s coalition partners, the center-left Social Democrats, who have outlined a tiered model including a full ban for children under 14. The chancellor stressed he is usually cautious about bans but argued the priority must be protecting children at an age when they need time to play, learn, and focus in school. Merz added that while children should learn how to handle electronic media in school, the argument that they must be introduced early "does not hold up," comparing it to giving alcohol to elementary school pupils. https://p.dw.com/p/58xXdSkip next section Welcome to our coverageFebruary 18, 2026Welcome to our coverageGuten Tag from the DW newsroom in Bonn. As you join us, the debate on a social media ban for children up to the age of 16 has attracted comment from Germany’s Chancellor Friedrich Merz. Merz says he is open to the idea, preferring that youngsters should be protected and have time to play and learn in the real world. Stay with us for this story and more of what is happening today in Germany https://p.dw.com/p/58xPuShow more posts


Share this story

Read Original at DW News

Related Articles

South China Morning Post1 day ago
Germany’s ruling party seeks social media ban for children aged below 14

Germany’s ruling conservatives on Saturday passed ⁠a motion to ban social media use for under 14s and introduce more stringent digital verification checks for teenagers, building momentum for such limits in Germany and elsewhere in Europe. At a party conference in the city of Stuttgart, Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s Christian Democratic Union also called for fines for online platforms that failed to enforce such limits and European ‌Union-wide harmonisation of age standards. A growing number of...

DW News4 days ago
EU governments look to Australia's social media ban for kids

Germany has joined the growing list of EU nations that are considering banning children from social media. Australia has banned youths from social media since December — and its example has lessons for EU governments.

DW News4 days ago
Europe looks to Australia's social media ban for kids

Germany has joined the growing list of EU nations that are considering banning children from social media. Australia has banned youths from social media since December — and its example has lessons for EU governments.

Politico Europe4 days ago
Germany eyes social media ban for kids

Chancellor Friedrich Merz says he has "a lot of sympathy" for a proposal to prohibit access for under-14s.

TechCrunch5 days ago
These are the countries moving to ban social media for children

Australia was the first country to issue a ban in late 2025, aiming to reduce the pressures and risks that young users may face on social media, including cyberbullying, social media addiction, and exposure to predators.

DW News5 days ago
Germany news: Coalition mulls social media ban for children

Germany is joining the list of nations considering a ban on social media for children, with both coalition partners drawing up plans. Meanwhile, figures show German industry cut around 124,000 jobs in 2025. DW has more.