NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
All Articles
Al Jazeera
Clustered Story
Published 7 days ago

ByteDance pledges fixes to Seedance 2.0 after Hollywood copyright claims

Al Jazeera · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Hollywood groups say the AI video generator uses the likeness of actors and others without permission.

Full Article

Hollywood groups say the AI video tool uses the likeness of actors and others without permission.Published On 16 Feb 2026China’s ByteDance has pledged to address concerns over its new artificial intelligence video generator, after Hollywood groups claimed Seedance 2.0 “blatantly” violates copyright and uses the likenesses of actors and others without permission.The company, which owns TikTok, told The Associated Press news agency on Sunday that it respects intellectual property rights and pledged action to strengthen safeguards.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Gaza mother’s grim ordeal: A search for missing son among mutilated bodieslist 2 of 3Netanyahu calls for dismantling Iran’s nuclear programme in any US deallist 3 of 3Israel’s move to register land ‘systematises dispossession’ of Palestiniansend of listThe tool, called Seedance 2.0, is available only in China for now and lets users generate high-quality AI videos using simple text prompts.The Motion Picture Association (MPA) said last week that Seedance 2.0 “has engaged in unauthorized use of US copyrighted works on a massive scale”.“By launching a service that operates without meaningful safeguards against infringement, ByteDance is disregarding well-established copyright law that protects the rights of creators and underpins millions of American jobs. ByteDance should immediately cease its infringing activity,” Charles Rivkin, chairman and CEO of the MPA, said in a statement on February 10.Screenwriter Rhett Reese, who wrote the Deadpool movies, said on X last week, “I hate to say it. It’s likely over for us.”His post was in response to Irish director Ruairi Robinson’s post of a Seedance 2.0 video that went viral and shows AI versions of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt fighting in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.Actors union SAG-AFTRA said on Friday it “stands with the studios in condemning the blatant infringement” enabled by Seedance 2.0.“The infringement includes the unauthorized use of our members’ voices and likenesses. This is unacceptable and undercuts the ability of human talent to earn a livelihood,” SAG-AFTRA said in a statement.“Seedance 2.0 disregards law, ethics, industry standards and basic principles of consent. Responsible AI development demands responsibility, and that is nonexistent here.”ByteDance said in response that it has heard the concerns regarding Seedance 2.0.“We are taking steps to strengthen current safeguards as we work to prevent the unauthorised use of intellectual property and likeness by users,” it told the AP.Jonathan Handel, an entertainment journalist and lawyer, told Al Jazeera the developments mark “the beginning of a difficult road” for the film industry.Until courts make a significant ruling, AI-generated videos will have major implications on the film industry,” he said.“Digital technology moves a lot quicker, and we are going to see in several years full-length movies that are AI-generated,” he said.These tools are trained primarily on unlicensed data, Handel said, and the output could resemble faces and scenes from famous movies, “and so you’ve got copyrights, trademarks, all of those rights are implicated here”.


Share this story

Read Original at Al Jazeera

Related Articles

Euronews5 days ago
ByteDance says it will add safeguards to AI video tool Seedance 2.0 following Hollywood backlash

After facing mounting pressure from Hollywood alongside legal threats from Disney, ByteDance moves to tighten safeguards on its AI video app, Seedance 2.0.

Ars Technica6 days ago
ByteDance backpedals after Seedance 2.0 turned Hollywood icons into AI “clip art”

Hollywood backlash puts spotlight on ByteDance's sketchy launch of Seedance 2.0.

Engadget6 days ago
ByteDance promises to tighten up its new AI video generator after viral Cruise vs. Pitt clip

ByteDance released Seedance 2.0 less than a week ago and enraged artists everywhere with a viral clip AI-generated clip of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt fighting. Unsurprisingly, the AI video-making tool has reportedly already received multiple cease-and-desist letters around copyright infringement. Now, it appears ByteDance is going to curb the new media generator's use of prohibited content.  In a statement to the BBC, ByteDance said, "We are taking steps to strengthen current safeguards as we work to prevent the unauthorised use of intellectual property and likeness by users." It added that the company "respects intellectual property rights and we have heard the concerns regarding Seedance 2.0." However, when pressed for more information on exactly how they would do this, ByteDance didn't respond.  ByteDance's vague pledge follows a cease-and-desist letter from the Walt Disney Company on Friday. Disney claimed that Seedance 2.0 uses "a pirated library of Disney's copyrighted characters from Star Wars, Marvel, and other Disney franchises, as if Disney's coveted intellectual property were free public domain clip art." Disney included example videos that included its copyrighted characters, such as Spider-Man and Darth Vader.  Paramount Skydance has also reportedly issued a cease-and-desist letter to ByteDance to stop Seedance 2.0 from using its materials, according to the BBC.  This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/bytedance-promises-to-tighten-up-its-new-ai-video-generator-after-viral-cruise-vs-pitt-clip-112941384.html?src=rss

The Verge6 days ago
After spooking Hollywood, ByteDance will tweak safeguards on new AI model

Hollywood groups have spoken out against Seedance 2.0 since generated videos like fight scenes between Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt went viral. | Image by Dave Benett / WireImage via Getty TikTok creator ByteDance says that it is working to improve safeguards on its new AI video generator after Disney, Paramount, and Hollywood trade groups accused the tool of violating copyright protections. Concerns were raised after hyperrealistic videos generated by the Seedance 2.0 model went viral last week, with the likeness of actors, such as Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, and characters from Dragon Ball Z, Family Guy, and Pokémon. "ByteDance respects intellectual property rights and we have heard the concerns regarding Seedance 2.0," a ByteDance spokesperson said in a statement shared by CNBC. "We are taking steps to strengthen current saf … Read the full story at The Verge.

BBC World7 days ago
ByteDance to curb AI video app after Disney legal threat

Videos featuring Spider-Man and other characters which are Disney's intellectual property have gone viral since Seedance's update.

TechCrunch7 days ago
Hollywood isn’t happy about the new Seedance 2.0 video generator

Hollywood organizations are pushing back against a new AI video model called Seedance 2.0, which they say has quickly become a tool for “blatant” copyright infringement.