NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaCourtLaunchDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketOilHongKongTechMilitaryTargets
TrumpTariffTradeAnnounceNewsPricesStrikesMajorFebruaryChinaCourtLaunchDigestSundayTimelineSafetyGlobalMarketOilHongKongTechMilitaryTargets
All Articles
BBC World
Clustered Story
Published 6 days ago

Australian IS families in Syria camp turned back after leaving for home

BBC World · Feb 16, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

The group of 34 women and children with family links to Islamic State group have been held in the Roj camp for nearly seven years.

Full Article

42 minutes agoTom BennettReutersMany have been held in Roj camp for nearly seven years, since IS lost its last territorial foothold in Syria in 2019A group of 34 Australian women and children who have been held in a camp in northern Syria for nearly seven years due to their links to the Islamic State (IS) group were released on Monday to head home, but then returned to the camp for "technical reasons".The group - thought by authorities to be the wives and children of IS fighters - have been stuck in Roj detention camp until now, with the Australian government refusing to officially repatriate them.It is unclear why their release was halted, but Australian media has reported it may have been due to a failure to coordinate the correct permissions between the factions governing the region. Their future - and that of thousands of other IS relatives in Syria - remains unclear. Other foreign governments have also refused to repatriate their citizens.Reuters news agency quoted a co-director of Roj camp as saying that the 34 Australians had been handed over to members of their families who had travelled to Syria for their release, and had boarded minibuses to travel to Damascus with a military escort.Australian media reported that the group were intending to continue their journey to Beirut, where they hoped to be issued passports. The Australian government has repeatedly said it would not repatriate people from Syria and said those who returned who had committed crimes would be "met with the full force of the law".But it has previously taken the position that it is obliged to issue passports to citizens who present themselves at an Australian embassy.ReutersThe camp is also thought to be home to Shamima Begum Roj is home to more than 2,000 others from 40 different nationalities - mainly women and children - who have been held there since IS was driven from its final foothold in Syria in 2019.Among them is thought to be Shamima Begum, who was stripped of her British citizenship in 2019 on national security grounds.Speaking to Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), the camp's director, Hakmiyeh Ibrahim said: "My message is not only to Australia but to all countries: take your citizens, take these children and women". She added that children were growing up surrounded by "dangerous ideas and ideologies" in the camp."We brought families of ISIS-affiliated women and children here in 2017 and now it's 2026," she said. "The more time passes, the more complicated the situation becomes."The Australian government said in a statement: "Our security agencies have been monitoring - and continue to monitor - the situation in Syria to ensure they are prepared for any Australians seeking to return to Australia"."People in this cohort need to know that if they have committed a crime and if they return to Australia they will be met with the full force of the law."The safety of Australians and the protection of Australia's national interests remain the overriding priority."Last month the UK home secretary said she would "robustly defend" the decision to remove Shamima Begum's citizenship, according to a government source.The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has called for an investigation, but the government source said the decision had already been upheld by UK courts.Ms Begum was 15 when she travelled from east London to the Middle East, to a territory held by the Islamic State group, where she married a fighter.


Share this story

Read Original at BBC World

Related Articles

NPR News4 days ago
Australia bans a citizen with alleged IS links from returning from Syria

The Australian is among a group of 34 women and children who had planned to fly from Damascus to Australia on Monday but were turned back by Syrian authorities to the Roj detention camp due to procedural problems.

South China Morning Post4 days ago
Australian citizen in Syria with alleged Isis ties banned from returning home

Canberra banned an Australian citizen with alleged ties to the militant Islamic State (Isis) group from returning home from a detention camp in Syria, the latest development in the case of fraught repatriation of families of Isis fighters. The woman was planning to join another 33 Australians – 10 women and 23 children – and fly on Monday from Damascus, Syria, to Australia, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said on Wednesday. But the group was turned back by Syrian authorities to the Roj...

BBC World4 days ago
Australia bans citizen trying to return from IS camp in Syria

The person temporarily banned is among a group of 34 who this week attempted to leave the camp for Australia.

Al Jazeera5 days ago
Australia refuses to repatriate ISIL relatives from Syrian camp

Australia is refusing to repatriate 34 women and children held in a camp in northern Syria.

lbcgroup.tv5 days ago
Australia rules out helping families of IS militants leave Syrian camp

Published: 20260217T091500Z

NPR News5 days ago
Australia won't repatriate 34 women and children from Syria

The Australian government will not repatriate from Syria a group of 34 women and children with alleged ties to the Islamic State group, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said Tuesday.