NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketIranianTest
All Articles
Australia unveils billions for new nuclear submarines under Aukus security pact
South China Morning Post
Clustered Story
Published 7 days ago

Australia unveils billions for new nuclear submarines under Aukus security pact

South China Morning Post · Feb 15, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Australia unveiled AU$3.9 billion (US$2.8 billion) in spending on Sunday as a “down payment” on a new facility to build nuclear submarines under the tripartite Aukus security pact with Britain and the United States. The Aukus pact aims to arm Australia with a fleet of cutting-edge submarines from the United States and would provide for cooperation in developing an array of warfare technologies. The submarines, the sale of which will begin in 2032, lie at the heart of Australia’s strategy of...

Full Article

Australia unveiled AU$3.9 billion (US$2.8 billion) in spending on Sunday as a “down payment” on a new facility to build nuclear submarines under the tripartite Aukus security pact with Britain and the United States.The Aukus pact aims to arm Australia with a fleet of cutting-edge submarines from the United States and would provide for cooperation in developing an array of warfare technologies.The submarines, the sale of which will begin in 2032, lie at the heart of Australia’s strategy of improving its long-range strike capabilities in the Pacific, particularly against China.The deal could cost Canberra up to US$235 billion over the next 30 years and also includes the technology to build its own vessels in the future.Defence Minister Richard Marles said the facility in Osborne, near the southern city of Adelaide, would be at the heart of that.In the long term, an estimated AU$30 billion is expected to be spent on the facility.“The transformation under way at Osborne shows Australia is on track to deliver the sovereign capability to build our nuclear-powered submarines for decades to come,” he said.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

DW News7 days ago
Australia to spend $2.8 billion on new nuclear subs facility

Australia has announced the initial funding to build a new submarine construction yard in Osborne under the AUKUS security pact.

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Malaysia summons anti-corruption chief in stock ownership probe

Malaysia’s anti-corruption chief Azam Baki was summoned by a special committee set up to probe his stock ownership to explain the matter on Thursday, as authorities respond to calls for him to be investigated. The committee is examining the compliance and regularity of Azam’s share ownership based on the initial report it received, Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar, chief secretary to the government, said in a statement on Sunday. It is still in the process of evaluating all evidence obtained and will call...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong jewellery sales sparkle amid 13% jump in mainland Chinese visitors

Hong Kong recorded a 13 per cent increase in visitors from mainland China during the Lunar New Year holiday against a year ago, with the influx boosting jewellery sales by 10 per cent during the period despite a sharp rise in gold prices. Industry representatives said on Sunday that overall business was better than last year, although the recovery remained uneven across sectors and was not always directly tied to the greater number of mainland visitors. Immigration figures showed mainland...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Pokemon cards worth HK$8,000 stolen in Hong Kong shop burglary

A man has reported the loss of Pokemon trading cards worth about HK$8,000 (US$1,023) after a burglary at a shop in Hong Kong – the second reported criminal case involving the collectors’ items in two months. Police said they received a report at about 2.50am on Sunday from a 25-year-old man that the 1,000 sq ft shop in Chung Mei Centre on Hing Yip Street, Kwun Tong, had been ransacked. He also found that more than 10 security cameras had been sprayed with red paint. An initial count indicated...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong fans were right to bet on lottery picks from K-pop star G Dragon

Some lucky Hong Kong fans of K-pop star G Dragon pocketed at least HK$320 (US$41) from the record HK$200 million Lunar New Year Mark Six draw after they chose lottery numbers he suggested. G Dragon fans took to social media to share news of their earnings after the winning numbers were announced on Saturday. During a fan meeting earlier this month in Seoul, the star was asked by a South Korean fan to name some lucky lottery numbers. After glancing at a countdown timer for the segment at the...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Russian barrage strikes Ukrainian infrastructure as war drags on

Russia fired scores of missiles and drones at targets across Ukraine on Sunday, crashing into energy and rail infrastructure and residential buildings, just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion. Journalists in Kyiv heard a series of blasts starting at around 4.00am, shortly after an air raid alert was issued, with the air force later widening the alert nationwide, citing the threat of missiles. “Moscow continues to invest in strikes more than in diplomacy,” Ukrainian...