NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
TrumpMajorMilitaryStrikesFebruaryIranAnnouncesIranianNewsAdditionalDigestSundayTimelineYearNuclearTargetingGameHumanoidGlobalMarketNipahLimitedChineseCampaign
All Articles
600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new scheme
South China Morning Post
Clustered Story
Published 1 day ago

600 Guangdong drivers enter Hong Kong as thousands apply for new scheme

South China Morning Post · Feb 21, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

About 600 motorists from Guangdong have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister. Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that weekend quotas for such trips had almost been filled on average during the holiday period. She added that the government would first consolidate the foundation of the scheme before reviewing the current...

Full Article

About 600 motorists from Guangdong have driven their vehicles into Hong Kong urban areas during the Lunar New Year holiday under a new scheme that has so far attracted 3,000 applications, according to the transport minister.Secretary for Transport and Logistics Mable Chan said on Saturday that weekend quotas for such trips had almost been filled on average during the holiday period.She added that the government would first consolidate the foundation of the scheme before reviewing the current quota.Launched in late December 2025, the Southbound Travel for Guangdong Vehicles (Entry into Urban Area) scheme allows approved private cars from the neighbouring province to enter Hong Kong directly via the Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge.Under the scheme, motorists can stay for up to three days, with a daily quota of 100 vehicles.Mable Chan says the scheme is doing well in its initial stage. Photo: Edmond SoChan said the city government had received 3,000 applications for the initiative so far, with 1,700 motorists having already booked trips.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 5 hours ago
Hong Kong eyes booking system, fees after campers overrun hotspots

Hong Kong authorities are looking at implementing a booking system and charging fees for camping hotspots as part of a review of management strategies in response to public concerns about overcrowded beaches and litter during the Lunar New Year holiday. The Agricultural, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) posted its plan on its Facebook page on Sunday after campers and hikers called for stronger public education, law enforcement and limits on visitor numbers at popular sites. At Ham...

South China Morning Postabout 9 hours ago
Hong Kong jewellery sales sparkle amid 13% jump in mainland Chinese visitors

Hong Kong recorded a 13 per cent increase in visitors from mainland China during the Lunar New Year holiday against a year ago, with the influx boosting jewellery sales by 10 per cent during the period despite a sharp rise in gold prices. Industry representatives said on Sunday that overall business was better than last year, although the recovery remained uneven across sectors and was not always directly tied to the greater number of mainland visitors. Immigration figures showed mainland...

South China Morning Postabout 13 hours ago
Thailand sees Lunar New Year travel boom as Chinese tourists back in droves

Resorts are near capacity in Pattaya, Bangkok restaurants are doing a roaring trade and the strict time slots to visit the Louis Vuitton pop-up “hotel” in the Thai capital are fully booked. As this year’s Lunar New Year holiday draws to a close, Thailand’s tourist businesses are totting up the receipts from what many hope will be an enduring rebound in Chinese visitors. More than 30,000 Chinese visitors have arrived each day since the start of January. The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)...

South China Morning Post1 day ago
Calls for better supervision of Hong Kong’s campsites after areas inundated

Campers and hikers have urged Hong Kong authorities to step up public education, law enforcement and impose foot traffic limits at campsites after some areas were flooded with visitors during the Lunar New Year holiday. A visit by the South China Morning Post on Saturday to Ham Tin Wan, a beach in Sai Kung, found about 50 visitors and 30 tents. Empty plastic bottles, used tissue paper and chocolate wrappers were seen lying on the sand and in bushes and shrubs. Officers from the Agricultural,...

Euronews2 days ago
China celebrates Spring Festival with lion dances at Great Wall of China

China marked the Spring Festival with lion and dragon dances at the Badaling Great Wall on 19 February 2026. The shows formed part of New Year celebrations linked to the Year of the Fire Horse.

South China Morning Post3 days ago
Hongkongers make 1.4 million outbound trips over Lunar New Year break, up 20% from 2019

Hongkongers made more than 1.4 million outbound trips over the Lunar New Year holiday, up by about 20 per cent from 2019, while the number of arrivals over the same period remained lower than pre-pandemic levels. Immigration Department data released on Friday showed that from Lunar New Year’s Eve to the third day of the holiday, residents made 1.44 million trips out of the city – 20.4 per cent more than the 1.2 million recorded in the same period in 2019. By contrast, mainland Chinese visitors...