NewsWorld
PredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticles
NewsWorld
HomePredictionsDigestsScorecardTimelinesArticlesWorldTechnologyPoliticsBusiness
AI-powered predictive news aggregation© 2026 NewsWorld. All rights reserved.
Trending
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketTestStocks
TrumpTariffTradeFebruaryStrikesAnnounceLaunchNewsPricesMajorMilitaryHongKongCourtDigestSundayTimelineChinaTechSafetyGlobalMarketTestStocks
All Articles
10 arrested over Russian plot to kill top Ukrainian officials
South China Morning Post
Published 2 days ago

10 arrested over Russian plot to kill top Ukrainian officials

South China Morning Post · Feb 20, 2026 · Collected from RSS

Summary

Kyiv said on Friday that 10 people were arrested in Ukraine and Moldova on suspicion of planning to assassinate senior Ukrainian political figures on Moscow’s orders, with payouts of up to US$100,000. Kyiv has previously accused Russia, which invaded Ukraine four years ago, of plotting to kill several senior officials, including President Volodymyr Zelensky and the head of Ukraine’s intelligence service. “As part of the work of a joint investigative team of Ukrainian and Moldovan law enforcement...

Full Article

Kyiv said on Friday that 10 people were arrested in Ukraine and Moldova on suspicion of planning to assassinate senior Ukrainian political figures on Moscow’s orders, with payouts of up to US$100,000.Kyiv has previously accused Russia, which invaded Ukraine four years ago, of plotting to kill several senior officials, including President Volodymyr Zelensky and the head of Ukraine’s intelligence service.“As part of the work of a joint investigative team of Ukrainian and Moldovan law enforcement officers, an organised group has been exposed that was preparing contract killings of well-known Ukrainian citizens and foreigners,” Ukrainian Prosecutor General Ruslan Kravchenko said in a statement.Kravchenko said law enforcement had carried out 20 searches across the country and confiscated money, weapons, explosives and communications with Russian handlers.Seven people were arrested in Ukraine during the raids and three more – including the organiser of the campaign – were apprehended in Moldova, the statement said.A man pays respects to his fallen relative at a memorial site for Ukrainian servicemen who died fighting the invading Russian army in Dzenzelivka on February 4. Photo: ReutersMoldova confirmed the joint investigation in an earlier statement into a plot aiming at the “physical liquidation of several public figures in Ukraine”. There was no immediate comment from Moscow on the claims.


Share this story

Read Original at South China Morning Post

Related Articles

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Malaysia summons anti-corruption chief in stock ownership probe

Malaysia’s anti-corruption chief Azam Baki was summoned by a special committee set up to probe his stock ownership to explain the matter on Thursday, as authorities respond to calls for him to be investigated. The committee is examining the compliance and regularity of Azam’s share ownership based on the initial report it received, Shamsul Azri Abu Bakar, chief secretary to the government, said in a statement on Sunday. It is still in the process of evaluating all evidence obtained and will call...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong jewellery sales sparkle amid 13% jump in mainland Chinese visitors

Hong Kong recorded a 13 per cent increase in visitors from mainland China during the Lunar New Year holiday against a year ago, with the influx boosting jewellery sales by 10 per cent during the period despite a sharp rise in gold prices. Industry representatives said on Sunday that overall business was better than last year, although the recovery remained uneven across sectors and was not always directly tied to the greater number of mainland visitors. Immigration figures showed mainland...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Pokemon cards worth HK$8,000 stolen in Hong Kong shop burglary

A man has reported the loss of Pokemon trading cards worth about HK$8,000 (US$1,023) after a burglary at a shop in Hong Kong – the second reported criminal case involving the collectors’ items in two months. Police said they received a report at about 2.50am on Sunday from a 25-year-old man that the 1,000 sq ft shop in Chung Mei Centre on Hing Yip Street, Kwun Tong, had been ransacked. He also found that more than 10 security cameras had been sprayed with red paint. An initial count indicated...

South China Morning Postabout 2 hours ago
Hong Kong fans were right to bet on lottery picks from K-pop star G Dragon

Some lucky Hong Kong fans of K-pop star G Dragon pocketed at least HK$320 (US$41) from the record HK$200 million Lunar New Year Mark Six draw after they chose lottery numbers he suggested. G Dragon fans took to social media to share news of their earnings after the winning numbers were announced on Saturday. During a fan meeting earlier this month in Seoul, the star was asked by a South Korean fan to name some lucky lottery numbers. After glancing at a countdown timer for the segment at the...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Russian barrage strikes Ukrainian infrastructure as war drags on

Russia fired scores of missiles and drones at targets across Ukraine on Sunday, crashing into energy and rail infrastructure and residential buildings, just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s invasion. Journalists in Kyiv heard a series of blasts starting at around 4.00am, shortly after an air raid alert was issued, with the air force later widening the alert nationwide, citing the threat of missiles. “Moscow continues to invest in strikes more than in diplomacy,” Ukrainian...

South China Morning Postabout 3 hours ago
Silent suffering: how a domestic helper’s Hong Kong dream became a nightmare

Sanju*, a foreign domestic helper of Nepalese ethnicity, never imagined her Hong Kong dream would turn into a nightmare. The 34-year-old arrived in Hong Kong in 2023, driven by a simple wish to work in the city of her dreams. But she said her first employer paid her 30 per cent below the statutory minimum wage, allowed her only two hours of sleep a day, and gave her just three rest days over six months, during which she was only paid two months’ salary. After six months, she was dismissed and...